• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD - Is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i noticed a huge difference going from my raptor to my ssd. probably not as big of a difference from my 7200 to a raptor but still a bigggg step up. if you've never used anything but 7200 a ssd is going to be a very welcome surprise.

the programs i use most are firefox, counter strike, itunes, etc. nothing really major.

i just went from 1 to two of them in raid 0. I'm sure it's better if I did something that's transfer intensive, but I haven't yet.

i too have x-25 m

Well, if your C2Q build benefitted a lot from an SSD, it certainly does not mean that the OP's P4 build will benefit anywhere near that from an SSD...

^^^ This. I love SSD technology, I've been waiting for it forever. But it's not there yet as far as providing extra performance on a desktop rig for the price you have to pay for it. Your money would be much better spent on simply building a modern rig either with your existing hard drive, or upgrading to something like the Western Digital Black line.

+1, waiting on prices for 60GB to drop under $100 :beer:

Well, if your C2Q build benefitted a lot from an SSD, it certainly does not mean that the OP's P4 build will benefit anywhere near that from an SSD...

I disagree. While I'm not arguing that the benefits will be great on either system (I haven't had the privilege to use a SSD yet), I would argue that you would see an equivalent return on a P4 when compared to even the newest chips.

I say this, because at no point will a SSD be able to transfer more data than even a PIII can't handle. The hard drive is a huge bottle neck and the P4 will be able to handle the data just as well as a C2Q. What it does with the data afterwards is another debate, but as for transfer rates and seek times, you would get the same return regardless of how old the computer is.

Last edited:
when i added my ssd to my build it made a nice difference.

I never planed to add an ssd, i finished my build then had a bit of spare cash so i brought my self an 30gb OCZ vertex for 115 GBP was the most expensive part of my build lol.

I probably would of been better of puting the money from the ssd in to a faster processor.

i would recomend you upgrade more of your system and add the ssd at a later date.

edit: here is my thread from where i was deciding weather to buy one or not http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=601796

price break down of my system if ur interested (im GBP):

CPU and MB: 98
RAM: 40
PSU: 25 (in sale reduced from 50)
GFX card: 25
case: 20
SSD: 115
HSF: 25
dvd burner: 17

Last edited:
Back