• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Step by Step Instructions for Optimizing the SETI BOINC Client for Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
For Windows only.

******New Version Instructions, use these instead of steps 4 below********
BOINC has made a few new changes to the Client ..

1) First I noticed that the option "Run as a service" is no longer available during the install process - which I'll write about more in a future post.
2) Then I found out that they have seperated BOINC into two folders as opposed the the former single folder at C:\program files\boinc\projects\seti
3) The folder where you need to get to optimize your client is hidden.

I went to optimize the client and the Projects folder was no longer there.. It turns out that the new location for optimizing clients is at:

C:\ProgramData\BOINC\setiathome.berkeley.edu\

which is a hidden folder. To access it you must:

1) go to your control panel
2) Select Classic Version from the left hand side
3) open up Folder Options
4) Select the View Tab
5) and turn on the radio box called "Show hidden files and folder"
6) Select OK, then open up your C-Drive and the "programdata" folder will be there.

Then copy the 4 optimizer files into "C:\ProgramData\BOINC\setiathome.berkeley.edu\ "

*******End of Revision*********

1. Terminate Boinc (after transmitting any completed work units)
1a. Right click on your BOINC icon in the task bar
1b. Select snooze
1c. Select exit
1d. Right click on the task bar and select task manager
1e. Select the processes tab
1f. Select and end process for BOINC
1g. Select and end process for setiathome (may have one per core)

2. Determine which instructions your CPU supports
2a. Download cpuz here: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
2b. Save to disk
2c. Extract cpuz to the location of your choice (default is a desktop folder)
2d. Open the new cpu-z folder and double click on cpuz.exe
2e. About 1/2 way down find the line titled "Instructions"
2f. The instructions we are looking for are SSE, SSE2 or SSE3
2g. Write down the largest supported SSE instruction listed.

3. Uninstall old BOINC installation (optional)
3a. Task manager, add remove programs, BOINC, remove
3b. My computer, browse to program files\boinc and delete the folder

4. Install the current BOINC client
4a. Download BOINC from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php
4b. Doubleclick on the new file to perform the install
4c. next, accept, next, next, service installation, next, user pass 2times,
unselect boinc default screensaver, next, yes grant permission to run as a service,
next, Install, next, launch BOINC, next, project url is http://setiathome.berkeley.edu, next, current user (or new user if you do not have an existing SETI account), enter email address and password, next, finish

5. Optimize your client
5a. Terminate BOINC using step 1a-1g.
5b. Downloading the correct optimized client:

- If you have a computer that supports SSE3 or higher then install the “Alex Kan's v8.0” optimized application - also known AK_V8. You can download these applications from THIS link. This application is only written for processors that support SSE3, SSSE3, and SSE4.1a. NOTE: These optimized applications do not show a screen saver, just a BOINC logo.

- If you have a computer than runs an older processor such as SSE2, SSE, or MMX, you can download the optimized client from THIS link.

5c. Note: Some apps are intel only. Others are generic. Do not run the Intel apps on an AMD CPU.
If your CPU supports a higher SSE level than you see an optimized client for, just grab the highest one
that is listed for your CPU, and check back later to see if a new app has been built for your CPU.
5d. Extract the file to the location of your choice (I use desktop)
5e. Open the new folder, browse to files to install, open this folder.
5f. Highlight the 3 files and Copy them using a right click, copy
5g. Browse to C:\Program Files\BOINC\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu
5h. Right click on setiathome.berkeley.edu folder, and paste
5i. Restart BOINC and you are good to go!

6. Start BOINC, right click on the task tray BOINC Icon and uncheck snooze.
6a. Your messages tab in BOINC will report "found app_info.xml; using anonymous platform.
6b. Go to the menu bar in BOINC, select Activity and then "run always" and "network activity always available"

You have completed the installation and optimization of your SETI BOINC Client.

(Following addition edited in by muddocktor)

To set up BOINC to use the GPU client but not to crunch with the CPU, here is a quick guide written up by Careface:

1) Go to SETI Account information -> SETI Resource share and graphics prefs
2) Edit default settings and untick "Astropulse" and "Astropulse v5" under "run only these selected applications", leaving only "SETI@Home Enhanced" ticked
3) Untick "Use Central Processing Unit (CPU)" and save prefs. Repeat steps 2+3 for any other profiles you may use (Home/Work/School)
4) Stop the BOINC client
5) Download the Lunatics unified installer from [link]
6) Untick the "AstroPulse v5.05 & 5.03 (CPU)" and "MultiBeam (CPU AKv8b)" boxes
7) Tick the "MultiBeam (Cuda)" box and install
8) Restart BOINC, and you're done :)

Any CPU WU still in progress will error out and be removed from the list, with the message "2/10/2009 1:59:21 a.m. SETI@home [error] No application found for task: windows_intelx86 603 ; discarding"

As a side note, it will still request CPU work, but will say "No work sent", and only GPU work will actually be downloaded :)

*updated 7/30/2008 with input from Svirfnebli ---- GPU only information edited in 10/2/2009 with input from Careface

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone should get this. my laptop is working proof. reduced work unit turnaround time by alot. the one its working on now is @ 80% completion after 3 hours 45 minutes, don't know if its just a small unit but it used to take 5 hours to get this far.

Well, I haven't been able to get to the site to download the new optimized clients. If someone can send or mirror the one for a PIV SSE2 I will greatly appreciate it :D

I cant get the SSE2 generic version downloaded, its corrupted everytime. Anyone feel like helpin me out as well ?

Thanks

WaTTz, can't dl the file or getting an error msg? I was able to dl it and extract it w/o any issues. If needed, I can email the extracted version of the files or zip it down or put it in my web space for a day or something...?

Hrm, I just tried installing the new optimized app linked here and when I start BOINC the app's exe file(SaH_5.15_KWSN_SSE2_generic_Ben-Joe_2.0_B.exe) just crashes repeatedly. Got any advice?

Are you certain you selected the app that was compatible with your CPU?

2 things:
1. The Intel Only will not run on an AMD rig
2. Running a client with instruction sets your cpu cannot process will not work.

My guess is you grabbed an Intel Only and put it on your AMD box?

Back