• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stock hsf for athlon xp 2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The ones I have seen don't use the same heatsink. My 2800+ came with an aluminum heatsink with a copper insert that went on the core. My friend's stock heatsink from his 2500+ didn't have any copper core and was just straight aluminum.

Considering I got load temps of over 60 degrees with the stock cooler on my 2800, I would not recommend putting a 2500's stock cooler on it. The thermaltake silent boost is a pure copper, quiet, and cheap cooler that would work well for the 2800.

well then it should be ok....

I was wondering about the heatsink on my friends computer... he had it put together for him by the shop he bought it from, and he payed for the 2500+ retail version with the HSF. The heatsink was terrible, and had load temps in the 65ish range with 4 casefans and stock settings. The heatsink itself looked like a total piece of crap, the fan on it didn't fit quite right and was kinda sideways... I guess they just screwed him over and put in an oem chip and the cheapest HSF they could find that would keep his computer from turning off.

matttheniceguy said:
well then it should be ok....

I was wondering about the heatsink on my friends computer... he had it put together for him by the shop he bought it from, and he payed for the 2500+ retail version with the HSF. The heatsink was terrible, and had load temps in the 65ish range with 4 casefans and stock settings. The heatsink itself looked like a total piece of crap, the fan on it didn't fit quite right and was kinda sideways... I guess they just screwed him over and put in an oem chip and the cheapest HSF they could find that would keep his computer from turning off.

Ha. I can imagine any computer store doing that around my area (san francisco). :clap:

I have a old 2500+ stock hsf with the copper core. It sucks! It had big problems keeping a old athlon 1200 below 45c(IDLE w/AS5@24C ambient). The fan on the hsf is the biggest problem(IMO). Replacing it with a more powerfull fan (60mm ADDA,ripped from a old psu) lowered the temps several degrees. My advise is: Lose the fan and mount a better one(more CFM) or lose the whole hsf and get something better.

AMD seems to have several different versions of HS that they randomly insert into retail boxes.
It's a crapshoot which one you will get.
If you're really lucky you get the copper insert AND thin skivved fins, but failing that, the regular copper core version will work just fine if you replace the stock fan with an adaptor and a 80mm fan.

Back