• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange PC behavior compaq celeron please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathhorse

My friend dropped by a desktop yesterday for me to look at. I thought he had spyware or a virus but it checks clean for both..

The problem is intermittent the computer will freeze and all of the information the screen will be jumbeld together looks like a mess and you can tell if the mouse is moving and you can hit CTRL ALT DEL. I want to say the onboard graphics are bad but dont want to tell them to buy a new video card unless they really need too.

I would take a pic but i dont have a camera. And i can use the print screen when the problem happens.

i am stumped? i check the temps 50c-60c no load

the computer is a 2.7 celeron its made by compaq

the model is s5200nx

If you suspect hardware, you need to ensure that it's not CPU/memory causing this before determining the onboard video is the problem.

how do i test the cpu

The problem happens alot and i never know when its going to happen

ill be using it then the screen will go crazy.

Could it be the power supply?

If you're seeing 50 - 60C core temp's at idle, I would suspect heat as the culprit. Open the case, blow out all of the dust and dirt, make sure the fan on the CPUs heatsink is actually working, and check the HSF to make sure it's securely mounted.

Redduc has it though, 50-60C idle (I assume you are using Coretemp to monitor temps) is high.

I havent seen a screen go nuts b/c of an overheated CPU. It almost sounds like the GPU is causing it......but try what redduc says maybe the airflow isnt where it needs to be.

(see you didnt need that duplicate thread!!!)

dupe

I didnt dupe the thread in a selfish way just posted somewhere that i thought it could also be at.

I reapplied the thermal paste a reseated the hsf its a cooler master socket 478

Similar to this one
http://www.casemodwholesale.com/coolermaster-478.html

the inside of the case is super clean

a new stick of ram was added recently could that be the reason.

Should i buy a pci vid card and see if thats the issue?

What are your temps now? I would try running memtest and put a multimeter on that power supply and watch it

temp

Now the temps are 35c on no load the problem has not happened in a few hours. I think i will get him a cheap case fan to see if it helps more

Back