• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

strange problems with windows 7 clock and internet.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reboot

first things... ive overclocked an old i5 2500k, seemed very stable for a long time passed all tests, running windows 7.

getting that out of the way, i started getting the occasional lock up or blue screen, or lock up about a month ago.

then the internet would lose its ip, and the clock started losing time a couple days ago out of no where and eventually the clock is just stopping it seems.

examples:

1)I just reset the time, and its now 1 minute slow.

2) I wake up at 930 am and the pc thinks is 330 am.

3) Im watching a movie playing a game or surfing the web and the internet drops, trouble shoot problems give me a new ip and it works again.

I did a clean install of windows 7 and the ip dropping problem and the clock issue are still a thing.

Had one blue screen today, bad pool header, never seen that before. Today I also replaced the cmos battery, but it did nothing to help the clock keep time.

Virus scans turn back nothing, but the strangest thing did happen when I did the clean install, besides it not helping the problems.

my hitman pro alert on the fresh install, formatted hd and everything, recognized my computer some how and did not let me have a free trial?

whats up... is my pc possessed by demons? how can a fresh install have the same problems with the clock and ip drop? is my processor creeping towards death, virus that survived a clean install and is undetected? format resistant malware? Government virus?

the system is stable enough to do a clean install, and play games like overwatch with out issue... yet my clocks ****ked, and likly causing my ip to lose its connection???
please advise

Last edited:
i set it back to stock and its still doing all the same stuff,

there are 459 administrative events in the event viewer...

there are 459 administrative events in the event viewer...
Example?

Time is checked via an internet connection. If you're ISP is dropping, that would account for time changes. I would check your nic, driver, and whatever your ISP provides for your connection first.

Last edited:
Example?

Time is checked via an internet connection. If you're ISP is dropping, that would account for time changes. I would check your nic, driver, and whatever your ISP provides for your connection first.

i have a laptop that is not showing the same problems, which would seem to rule out it being an isp thing?

even if i set time manually and tell it to stop using the internet it acted the same way.

OK. Lets go the other avenue.

A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the most common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. (By theory, RAM problems would be suspect for memory pool issues).

Your SAVOnaccess errors are from driver conflict with an antivirus (
Sophos antivirus) or HDD error. Timestamp is involved.
Remove that antivirus if you're using it.

Memtest the ram and test the drive.

Last edited:
i guess my question is, is this a hardware failure, or some kind of format resistant malware?

should i try to flash the bios and do a clean install again with out the video card?

the thing that got me thinking it was somehow malware, was my hitman alert pro software on the clean install recognized the computer, but i dont know if thats some feature of that program, looking at my gmail account in chrome or that some malware some how imported my old registry to the clean install?

- - - Updated - - -

ok i removed that antivirus last night, will do a mem test, thanks for the help.

Sophos usually does not trigger a positive on malware detection. I think you have a couple issues going on here. I do think you have some hardware failure going on, and I also think you're buggering up your fresh install by importing some damaged profiles back into it.

Test the ram and the drive, if both pass, do your OS install alone. Don't import anything until you're sure that it works.

thank you, i havent done any memtest in forever but was able to just make a memtest iso to boot from, testing my hard drive is done with what program?

the only thing i can think of that i imported was i connected to my google drive... but i did that after i installed the hitman pro alert if i remember correctly.

You HD manufacturer will have test tools for download right from their site. They all have them. That will be fine.
If you had any malware at one time, all that can be resident in anything you had saved, including anything on your cloud.

You HD manufacturer will have test tools for download right from their site. They all have them. That will be fine.
If you had any malware at one time, all that can be resident in anything you had saved, including anything on your cloud.

i didnt ever have any malware turn up in any scans, but it does seem like this is some kind of malware to me...

memtest was solid.

Attachments

• IMAG0324.jpg
    IMAG0324.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
http://www.poweredbymushkin.com/

its a mushkin eco2 sata 3 240 gb SSD, cant find any test tools on the site. i guess ill try Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox

if it is mal ware no one trying to take my emails or log into anything, im not getting any alerts... if is some type of surveillance tool why would it mess up my pc alerting me to its presence... nothing makes sense to me :(

intels tool was all greyed out this is all it would tell me in the screen shot

ssd life image too

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 51
  • SSDLife.png
    SSDLife.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
ran chkdisk didnt turn up anything. i guess ill get back to you when do the new install.

im going to go buy a lap top at costco... so i can stay online while i work on this thing... the other laptop here isnt mine... ill probally use it for a while then return it once i get my pc working right...

Last edited:
yes i set it a few times, it ends up getting corrupted, replaced the battery too. its 408 now and the pc says 239... even in the bios

my next idea was to flash the bios... and then maybe reinstall the os or both. possibly the mother board is malfunctioning...

i used to have lots of parts... i dont, so im ordering this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NA1K0S/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gona figure out if its the mobo for sure.

Last edited:
Back