• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

subwoofer question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what is the model of the jbl amp you have now ?

and what are your skills on box building ?

proper box and wiring could make a huge difference .. for the price of wood its a cheap way to go utilizing the equipment you have now

the model is psw-d112

and im not very good with cutting wood lol for some reason every time i cut something it comes out uneven... i was just going to get it done somewhere..

just IMO, if you get the 1KW amp, go sealed on the subs with active EQ/Para EQ on the low end.

with the right placement in your room and the EQ for the low end you lose. it will go just as low as the ported and not need as big a box to do. since you are getting a 1kw amp you have more then enough power for the added low end you add(if you add) with a Para EQ.

XMAX = 12mm. That will drastically limit your low frequency response in a sealed box (and make for some VERY loud pops when the coil smacks the backplate :) ).

I do like sealed in certain applications, I wouldn't say this is one of them ;)

:cool:

must admit i read the original post wrong .. was thinking you had a stand alone jbl amp hooked to a sub ..

how loud do you want it ? just a simple upgrade or "dam thats is loud" ??

im thinking us enthusiast have a little different look on this but thinking simple and to the point i think you'd b happy with some sealed box's you could just go pick up .. problem would just lay with the amp setup i personally wouldnt wire it into the jbl ... my cheap *** would run a car amp for the simple fact im cheap and i have one laying in my closet .. but if you can find a decent amp then id say go ahead and get them 12's in a sealed box and enjoy ..

some nicely tuned slot ported boxes would be super bad axx .. am i talking smoothed from the iside out so you dont get that nasty sound when edges are left untouched .. im car audio nut so thats just my two penny's ..

Last edited:
XMAX = 12mm. That will drastically limit your low frequency response in a sealed box (and make for some VERY loud pops when the coil smacks the backplate :) ).

I do like sealed in certain applications, I wouldn't say this is one of them ;)

:cool:

Depends on the person... if they like the sound of sealed bass better. useing EQ to bring up the bottom end would be the way to go. Plus if you modeled the setup with EQ in the model then the amount of RMS power it could take would be down. The max amount of RMS power would be shown along with where the Xmax limit is being reached at what HZ.

this thread/post here is a slightly modded 8in 740p(12mm Xmax,150watts RMS). now they used a sub shaping network, this lowed its RMS wattage to 100watts. I say look at the FR curve and the F3 of such a driver in a .5cu ft box. rather impressive, no?

either way Randy, Xmax in EQ'd sealed to Ported box is going to be reached. All it is going to take is the right amount of power.

Depends on the person... if they like the sound of sealed bass better. useing EQ to bring up the bottom end would be the way to go. Plus if you modeled the setup with EQ in the model then the amount of RMS power it could take would be down. The max amount of RMS power would be shown along with where the Xmax limit is being reached at what HZ.

this thread/post here is a slightly modded 8in 740p(12mm Xmax,150watts RMS). now they used a sub shaping network, this lowed its RMS wattage to 100watts. I say look at the FR curve and the F3 of such a driver in a .5cu ft box. rather impressive, no?

either way Randy, Xmax in EQ'd sealed to Ported box is going to be reached. All it is going to take is the right amount of power.

holy **** that looks like !@#$%%^&*( to me wtf are you guys talking about haha... now i know how my girlfriend feels when i try to talk to her about computer stuff....

Back