• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for a gaming laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AliasXNeo

Registered
Hey,

Current budget: $1,000-$1,200

I'm looking to get my hands on a nice rig for doing some portable gaming. Basically the key attributes that come to mind are speed, graphics capability, and screen size. Obviously I don't want to be looking at the awesome universe of Eve on a tiny 13'' screen. I'm not looking for the biggest dog on the block either. I'm attending Nuclear Power School for the Navy so I intend on carrying the sucker around to class. However, I don't want it so small it ruins the gaming experience.

I intend on playing hardware heavy games such as WoW, Eve, and newer games like Bioshock 2, COD4 2, etc. I'd also like to be able to continue to play the newer games coming out.

Ideal specs would be the sexy i7 processor, 4-6GB of RAM, 400+GB of HDD, and obviously top of the line GPU. Is this possible with the above budget, and if so does anyone have any suggestions?

The one I've been looking at the most currently is the ASUS N61JQ. It's got the i7, nice screen size (especially for it's weight), and a solid GPU (I think?). It's also right on my budget. However, I can't find ANY reputable reviews on it.

N61JQ: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220696

One way I considered getting around the size is by simply connecting a monitor to the laptop and using it as such. Most of my gaming will be done in my dorm room so it's not really a big deal. So, just keep that in mind when making suggestions.

Cheers,
Josh

Last edited:
Alias, the reason you can't find too many reviews is because Asus has a lot of custom models on NewEgg. Look on amazon and you'll find laptops with exact same specs, but different model number. The reviews you're looking for are probably under a different model number.
This is the laptop I just bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00352LQSA
I would suggest it, but it seems you're looking to spend a little bit more. Happy hunting!

Back