• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suggestions on an "all purpose" diagnostic monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

My homemade nas has problems every once in a while that requires I plug in a monitor for diagnostics. I have an old vga monitor that I can hook up with a dvi adapter, but I think it might be time to move up to something simpler to use. VGA to DVI and the bulky power supply are a pain (1st world problem I am sure). I would like to have a small and low cost monitor that I can store easily and plug in to a dangling wire on the gpu. An hdmi capable tablet would be ideal because I could use it for other stuff, but I would settle for a cheap (not sure what that means for this use) and portable hdmi screen that I can look at the BIOS with. Does anyone have a favorite they could recommend?

What operating system does it use? is there a gui, or remote desktop client you can use?

It's a Ubuntu build that I am migrating to Debian, and I just ssh into it when I need to. The problem is that this board is old and once in a blue moon the bios hiccups and it won't boot. Every time that happens I have to dig in the back of the garage for an old monitor to view the BIOS, plug in a keyboard, hit one key... Then put everything away and continue with ssh.

What I want to do is leave a dangling hdmi cord and just plug in a little tablet sized monitor. Lazy but... Quality of life/ease of use right? :D

It's a Ubuntu build that I am migrating to Debian, and I just ssh into it when I need to. The problem is that this board is old and once in a blue moon the bios hiccups and it won't boot. Every time that happens I have to dig in the back of the garage for an old monitor to view the BIOS, plug in a keyboard, hit one key... Then put everything away and continue with ssh.

What I want to do is leave a dangling hdmi cord and just plug in a little tablet sized monitor. Lazy but... Quality of life/ease of use right? :D

Get a KVM switch like this one --> IOgear-GCS72U-d-sub-usb, then you won't need to dig anything out of the garage :)

Back