• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCX4000 Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

visionguru

Registered
I am interested a Swiftech MCX4000 socket 478 cooler. Just wondering how good it is? My stock Intel cooler does a decent job for my P4 2.26b.

Anyone who has this cooler can tell me, does it make a big difference?

yes its a huge difference, but youll need an 80mm fan with tha heatsink, its the best out there for p4 478 but its pricey also, the best value/performance is in the Thermalright AX478. The swiftech mcx4000 is the best, but it doubles ax478 in price, that doesnt mean it doubles performance also, so forget about that swiftech and get the ax478

PhobMX said:
yes its a huge difference, but youll need an 80mm fan with tha heatsink, its the best out there for p4 478 but its pricey also, the best value/performance is in the Thermalright AX478. The swiftech mcx4000 is the best, but it doubles ax478 in price, that doesnt mean it doubles performance also, so forget about that swiftech and get the ax478

There is a rumor that the TMD ystech fans Swiftech uses are being recalled :(

Thanks.
I asked this question because I am a kind of skeptical about those online reviews. My Intel stock cooler is every single bit as good as AVC sunflower cooler, and much quieter.

Guess not all Intel stock cooler's are the same. Mine is with 0.21A printed on the fan, and I noticed that the fan came with 1.6A is only 0.16A. According to reviews and ranks in this website, AVC cooler has top performance, which means Intel 0.21A stock cooler is doing a fabulous job.

Ordered a Swiftech MCX4000 w/TMD fan. Wish it can help me to break 2.8Ghz

visionguru said:
Thanks.
I asked this question because I am a kind of skeptical about those online reviews. My Intel stock cooler is every single bit as good as AVC sunflower cooler, and much quieter.

Guess not all Intel stock cooler's are the same. Mine is with 0.21A printed on the fan, and I noticed that the fan came with 1.6A is only 0.16A. According to reviews and ranks in this website, AVC cooler has top performance, which means Intel 0.21A stock cooler is doing a fabulous job.

Ordered a Swiftech MCX4000 w/TMD fan. Wish it can help me to break 2.8Ghz

You should call Swiftech as they will not be selling the TMD fans anymore

yes..

The fans work by magnets that line the outside rim of the fan. These magnets receive electric shocks that temporarily reverse the polarity of the magnet, and also increase its force for a fraction of a second. This is the same theory behind rollercoasters such as the Superman....they receive the voltages in a "take-turn" type of circuit...the sudden reverse of polarity, then back to normal again in the magnet causes a "pull" on the fan's blades (as I understand it the blades are metal, right?). Once the fan is moving, the circuit continues around in a circle and of course so does the fan. My theory is that the source of the problem is actually the power supply, not the fan. You may want to refer to an article that (I THINK) was posted by Ed @ overclockers.com in reference to switching power supplies...these are the standard power supply most of us use. The problem lies in that the power supply is not constantly on. Cheaper-made power supplies do not have a stead "rhythm" to their on/off cycles, and even though these go only milliseconds, a slight fluctuation in that rhythm could through the fan's "magic magnets" off just enough to where they were out of time, like when a drummer misses a beat in a song, and suddenly it sounds like its going slower or faster.....in this case the fan is caused to spin at uncontrolled, uneven rates and can even spin so fast it burns up...if the circuit controling the fan where to receive a burst of power and cause more than one of the magnets to change polarity @ the same time, then the next magnet after the one that just received power but shouldn't have would then think it was its turn and so on, the circuit would continue around in this fashion, so that 2 magnets would now be going off instead of just one @ a time. ...thus leading the fan to spin faster....if this happened multiple times, it is easily feasable that the fan would then spin uncontrolably. Hope this helps. and sorry for the book

Back