• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech or Alpha?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im using the alpha with a slower fan on a XP1900 and my idle temps is 36-38 and full temp is 40-42, i also have the swifty but too lazzy to install it and see how it works :)

If you get an Alpha be sure you set the fan up pulling air thought the HS it was made for that air flow setup. When i found this out it dropped my temp by 4C

Is that with the On board diode or with a probe. Because I have seen the onboard diode get affeted by the air flow around the socket?

In any case maybe its best to try it both ways :)

This is off topic but whats up with all the beautiful women in the avatars now? Ive got no problem with it, just wondering when it started.

Too bad it's not actually them who are posting!

I wonder if there is such a thing as hot women who like to overclock.

rivercom9 said:
Hmm, for less $$$ Id go with a Thermalright AX-7. For full blown performance and if you dont care about your hearing, the Swifty. My $.02.

Does that mean there's a kit to retrofit AX-7 onto Socket 478?

There are implementations of VIA chipset mobo that uses external thermostat which will feed thru to chipset and onto mbm. I believe Soltek is one of them... So yes, even w/ mbm, you could be reading the temps via diode or randomly placed thermostat cable...

Last edited:
oh oh oh now that's good news... Can you elaborate on that? Any pointer/link? Where can I order one???

Hey rlemieux and alecela. I apologize to the both of you. I think that I made a mistake about the mounting kits for Intel CPU's. I though I had seen it somewhere, but I couldnt find it anywhere so that leaves me to believe that a mounting kit for Socket478's do not exist. Again fellas, I apologize for this mistake.

Back