• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

switch with old router, and cable with dsl

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fastcuda

Hi, I just got a new asus gxd-1051 switch because my old smcwrb14g didn't have gigabit (only 10-100) and I no longer use wireless (I ran all ethernet cables). Well I thought I wouldn't have to use the router but now I know that you still need a router to get internet to more than one computer even with a switch (I think). So I guess this didn't save power since I now have another device drawing power.

So would a modern router improve anything except maybe power saving? I am using 1 router port to the switch to my 3 computers.

Also, I have dsl and cable since service here is unreliable on both. Is there any cheap way while I am at it so when 1 goes out it switch's to the other without changing plugs?

Thanks in advance. :ty:

You can certainly buy a router that has a 4-port gigabit switch built in, they are quite common. And you are correct, you typically need a router to get more than one home machine online.
As for the dual connection autoswap, ideally your computer would have two ethernet ports! Joking aside, Windows vista and 7 allow for multiple connections, and can switch when one gets dropped. The trick you need to figure out is getting the computer connected to both media. DSL via ethernet cable, and cable via wifi would be one way. I haven't done it myself, but my 24 port switch I use for LAN parties doesn't care which source the online connection gets plugged into, so perhaps you could plug both cable modem and dsl modem into the switch. This may not work at all though, I do not know.

Back