• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcmanjon

Registered
Okay, I've had this problem for a while now.

My setup is

Soyo Ultra KT333 Motherboard
AND 2600+ Thourghbred
WD HD
Mad Dog Gfx Card (NVIDIA CHIP)

This is a really really -REALLY- strange problem we've been having for a while now, this comps not 3 months old.

It'll 'reset' as if you hit the reset switch on the case....

Appears to do it randomly but not too often (once every 2-3 hours or so?)

You could be browsing the net, playing a game, doing taxes, whatever and it'll do it. It also likes to do it when waking up from sleep mode.

I've tried the following to isolate the problem

* swapped the RAM with another chip
* Unplugged both DVD and CD-RW drives powercable (no power, no bios detect)
* checked for IRQ conflicts
* checked to make sure motherboard doesn't short against case, swapped
* switched power supplys

I'm about damn out of troubleshooting tips.

(!! ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTION IN A REPLY) Could it be Windows Server 2003 problem?
I ask this because it just reset a few minutes ago and when it restarted it booted up normally but in 16 colors and I looked at display propertys and it said 'default plug n play monitor' and didn't show the gfx card or anything

(!! ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTION IN A REPLY) Think if I reinstall Windows 2k3 Server it may fix?

I'm really not wanting to swap motherboards or processors.. .(!! ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTION IN A REPLY) and anyhow if it was the processor at fault, it would do it a lot more often right? I mean the processor is always processing data idle or not... so, it should crash with more of a pattern then randomly right?

I've already fried my computer trying to troubleshoot this son of a *****.... I put it's ram (troubleshooting to see if this comps ram is bad) in my system, it went in backwards (was dark conditions, it's keyed yes, but obviously not keyed enough to prevent pin contact) and blew my motherboard up

I'm really getting tired of this, (!! ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTION IN A REPLY) would a PC repair shop be able to troubleshoot this efficiently or would they likley say it's repaired me fork over 100 bucks and then it **** up again?

I'm getting really stressed over this problem as I pay my hard earned cash and then I have to keep investing and investing in new parts to put in it to see if it works right. I don't want to buy a new processor to find out if my processor is the problem etc...

This is really terrible.... I hope someone has expierience in troubleshooting problems that only crop up every 3 hours or so (which make it hard as HELL to troubleshoot)

Is there any special equipment I could buy to locate this problem rather than buy a new component every damn day to replace... Thanks

This may not fit in this forums catagory, but then again I don't see a hardware troubleshooting section though I didn't look hard'

First, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

(!! ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTION IN A REPLY) Could it be Windows Server 2003 problem?
I ask this because it just reset a few minutes ago and when it restarted it booted up normally but in 16 colors and I looked at display propertys and it said 'default plug n play monitor' and didn't show the gfx card or anything

Well, a while ago someone had a similar problem and was running Windows Server 2k3 I beleive. Try booting into safe mode and see if it does anything. Also, set it in the display properties to use your mad dog card.

I have a mad dog card and I have trouble when returning from Sleep mode, all of the stuff gets all blocky and I cannot see. That is the last time I am going to get a Mad Dog card. It could be the POS sis chipset that I have though.

(!! ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTION IN A REPLY) Think if I reinstall Windows 2k3 Server it may fix?

Im not sure. I would see if there is anything else you can do first, like boot into safe mode or something.

.(!! ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTION IN A REPLY) and anyhow if it was the processor at fault, it would do it a lot more often right? I mean the processor is always processing data idle or not... so, it should crash with more of a pattern then randomly right?

I've already fried my computer trying to troubleshoot this son of a *****.... I put it's ram (troubleshooting to see if this comps ram is bad) in my system, it went in backwards (was dark conditions, it's keyed yes, but obviously not keyed enough to prevent pin contact) and blew my motherboard up

It depends, the processor, if overclocked and not 100 percent stable could do that, but from what I beleive you are running at stock speeds right?

(!! ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTION IN A REPLY) would a PC repair shop be able to troubleshoot this efficiently or would they likley say it's repaired me fork over 100 bucks and then it **** up again?

I'm getting really stressed over this problem as I pay my hard earned cash and then I have to keep investing and investing in new parts to put in it to see if it works right. I don't want to buy a new processor to find out if my processor is the problem etc...

This is really terrible.... I hope someone has expierience in troubleshooting problems that only crop up every 3 hours or so (which make it hard as HELL to troubleshoot)

Is there any special equipment I could buy to locate this problem rather than buy a new component every damn day to replace... Thanks

This may not fit in this forums catagory, but then again I don't see a hardware troubleshooting section though I didn't look hard'

NO! dont have a PC shop try to troubleshoot it, you are better of asking on forums like this one IMO. Dont fork over 100 bucks for this. Please?

No there is no equipment you can buy to troubleshoot this that I know off.

Dont worry abotu posting in the wrong section, ill try to take care of it.

Now that I have answered your questions, I will give what I think might be cuasing this problem.

OK, I think that since you have a 333Mhz FSB proc, your mobo could be set at a 1/4 divider. Set it at 1/5. I think that it is dividing the PCI bus speed (needs to be as close to 33Mhz as possible) for 266Mhz, you need to have a 1/5 divider, so check that.

Also your temps could be hot. Tell us your CPU core and Socket temp. Also, dont trust the socket temp, read link in sig. Good luck!

Cheers!
-0cer
:cool:

Thanks for the welcome!! :) I hope to become an frequent poster of projects and stuff I will do to my system in the future...

I have a mad dog card and I have trouble when returning from Sleep mode, all of the stuff gets all blocky and I cannot see. That is the last time I am going to get a Mad Dog card. It could be the POS sis chipset that I have though.

I don't have any problems with blockyness, but, it -could- be the MD gfx card...

Im not sure. I would see if there is anything else you can do first, like boot into safe mode or something.
I guess I could boot it into safe mode... create a BATCH dos script to echo something in a loop (so it gives the illusion of someone working hard on the comp) and then turn up the speaker real high and if I hear windows login sound, I know it could/is probably windows..

It depends, the processor, if overclocked and not 100 percent stable could do that, but from what I beleive you are running at stock speeds right?
Yes, I am at stock speeds, here's another funny thing though, I'm UNDER rated stock speed on this processor actually... and I'm too lazy to mess with multiplier FSB and etc cause if I do the thing won't post and I have to reset CMOS. -- That is a pain cause I don't want to have to keep resetting CMOS until I find a setting that works [ More about this problem here -- this was a problem I was having on another computer that runs the same exact hardware (MOBO/CPU/MEMORY is the same) and I've been led to believe THATS a mobo issue on this specific SOYO model]

NO! dont have a PC shop try to troubleshoot it
Yeah, you're likley right, all they require is A+ certification and that just requires basic understanding of computer hardware and how to troubleshoot it... this isn't your standard basic troubleshooting proiblem

OK, I think that since you have a 333Mhz FSB proc, your mobo could be set at a 1/4 divider. Set it at 1/5.
Yeah, thats the problem, see above where I attempted to overclock/play around with it, It wouldn't POST then

I'm sure if I consistantly played and just kept resetting cmos and playing, resetting I could find a COMBO or something that'd let it post, but, that's a pain.

As far as hardware is concerned, cheapo Power Supply brands have been a frequent cause of sudden reboots. Watts don't matter, brands do, because some PSU manufacturers lie through their teeth on some of those labels.

It has meet P4 and UL Listed

UL is a government controlled organization -- therefore the penalty for counterfieting such a sticker should be high, so I'm sure it's a quality PSU.

Anyhow, I put an antec in place of the no namer which had the same stickers..

That means that its unlikley to be the PSU as that PSU had done me good for years

I cant think what the problem would be, seing as you've tried so much...but let me refer you to a site that has solved alot of my problems that someone else on the forums just gave to me.

www.blackviper.com/?

Its a great site with loads of windows tweaks and i remember seing something about unexpected reboots too. Otherwise, email black viper himself
:)

good luck

Do NOT email him asking about why your system does things he cant reply to all ppl as he stats on his site

.e n v y was i the one that gave u that site

i dont have aclue whats wrong becuase as .e n v y said u looked for most causes it could be the processor also have u got another h/d to install a different windows ???

Back