• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T-bred is here April!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know that the T-Bred is the new .13µm technology CPU from AMD and I'm guessing that the Barton will be AthlonXP but built w/ the SOI technology while the T-Bred isn't? Am I right?

Hmmm...do I stick with my tbird 1100 now, or do I sell it and get an T-bred on an Epox KHA+...I can't make up my mind :(

Malakai said:
AXIA, mant thanks for all the useful AMD info your always posting. For an earlier comment, barton will be the last Athlon. After that the Clawhammer will be on the totally new x86-64 architecture and will no longer be an Athlon. If thouroughbreds will be going as high as 2.2ghz(2800 or 3000+ i would guess, considering that 1.67ghz is 2000+) than bartons will prolly scale to over 3ghz. IM gonna keep the palomino till barton comes out. SOI should lead to some nice overclocks, and ill be on h2o so i can pimp out one of those baby's....w00t!
Good work AXIA, how much do u read up on the architecture of the athlon's? I read all about the architectures and i know quite a bit about x86-64 too. Id love to discuss them sometime......
quick quiz question:does anyone here know what the partial register stall on the p/// is? much respect if u do, not to many others here do
-Malakai

I know I read about this, I just can't remember it ... Is it when a register is too big, or not compiled for the CPU, and it looses a lot of cycles just breaking this register in parts ?

PenguinFreak said:
Hmmm...do I stick with my tbird 1100 now, or do I sell it and get an T-bred on an Epox KHA+...I can't make up my mind :(

Why don't you get an 8KHA3 instead? ATA133 and Via 333 chipset. I might get one of those.

minoukat said:

I know I read about this, I just can't remember it ... Is it when a register is too big, or not compiled for the CPU, and it looses a lot of cycles just breaking this register in parts ?
Yes! when the p3 is using the EAX register, the execution units will perform an operation on EAX before the solution to the last operation performed on it is wrote there. so it performs an operation on the wrong #(code, actually)
it takes the processor a few clock cycles to realise the mistake, and than the pipeline must be flushed to redo the correct operation. this happens with older code not specifically optomised for the p///. it also happens with the Pentium pro and the p//. if u ever read more on this, youll find out that intel's solution to the partial register stall in the p4 is much worse that tne original stall itself.
*Malakai gives props to Minoukat*:)
-Malakai

AudiMan said:

Why don't you get an 8KHA3 instead? ATA133 and Via 333 chipset. I might get one of those.

Hmmm...I'm wary of first revisions of chipsets....

Maybe, I'll see. I will be getting a new PC after the summer probably.

Argh! More PC replacement woes :mad: !

So the new Thoroughbred will be out next month. I was planning to upgrade to a new XP in June, but now that the Thoroughbreds will be out by then, would it be better to get one of those, or a regular XP?

How is it better than the regular XP's? It runs cooler, right, but by how much? Will it also perform much faster, about how much over a regular XP? Will they be *significantly* better than an XP in general, enough to justify it's price (they say it will be cheaper, but I don't know about that...)

And there's no way I could wait for the Hammer or Bartons. I have no PC to get me by until the end of the year. If I did wait until then, I would easily be able to afford one, but I don't think I really need that much power.

BTW, anyone know how many watts an XP 1900+ puts out at load?

at best a thouroughbred will be 15% less power consumption at the same speed. same with heat output. Dont expect amy more than 100mhz more out of a tbred than an XP
-Malakai

Overclocker550 said:
This is what facts I already mentioned :) who needs t-bred? its a waste!

be a waste ?!? i think not. i know i for one will be upgrading to a tbred almost as soon as they are out. running on my 1.4 tbird, i'll be glad to get rid of these ridiculous temps. besides, since computer tech advances about every six months anyway, i figure i'll get the tbred now, and jump to a clawhammer after the new year. well, i'm sure everyone has their own plans.

Overclocker550 said:
This is what facts I already mentioned :) who needs t-bred? its a waste!

who needs t-bred!?!?! WE NEED T-BRED :D ok so performance wise the tbred and palamino will be pretty much the same but if u look at it thru an overclockers point of view i think it looks pretty good :) lower voltage less heat better manufacturing process.... the palamino core is toping out right now with the xp 2100+@umm what is it 1.75ghz? well around that anyway and the tbred is slated to break 2ghz probly higher.... then consider that they will also have tbred in the 1900+ flavor and think of the overclocking potential on one of thoes!! in my eyes anyway the tbred is looking very tempting

not a waste, but ive seen alamino's at 2ghz with water and peltiers, wait for better steppings than the 1st ones, they always suck
-Malakai

hmmm my friend was planning on running a dual, and so if the t-bred are smaller cores will a 1900 pal work with a 1900t-bred.....

Malakai said:
not a waste, but ive seen alamino's at 2ghz with water and peltiers, wait for better steppings than the 1st ones, they always suck
-Malakai

exactly. are you gonna go thru the trouble for another 50MHz? and by the time the t-bred core improves, the next generation will be out

YoungstaxGx said:
hmmm my friend was planning on running a dual, and so if the t-bred are smaller cores will a 1900 pal work with a 1900t-bred.....

That is a good question, but I seriously doubt it will work.

www.2cpu.com has some forums that might help you get an answer to this question though.

Cupe|ix said:
Argh! More PC replacement woes :mad: !

So the new Thoroughbred will be out next month. I was planning to upgrade to a new XP in June, but now that the Thoroughbreds will be out by then, would it be better to get one of those, or a regular XP?

How is it better than the regular XP's? It runs cooler, right, but by how much? Will it also perform much faster, about how much over a regular XP? Will they be *significantly* better than an XP in general, enough to justify it's price (they say it will be cheaper, but I don't know about that...)

And there's no way I could wait for the Hammer or Bartons. I have no PC to get me by until the end of the year. If I did wait until then, I would easily be able to afford one, but I don't think I really need that much power.

BTW, anyone know how many watts an XP 1900+ puts out at load?

I was trying to find the wattage earlier and couldn't find it until a posted a thread and got a couple good replies. Here's the link to my thread: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=75228&goto=newpost

Back