• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TBird 1.3 temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sailor420

I am running a T-Bird 1.3. At full load, after about 24 hours, I am running at 49* C. Is this too hot? I have a Tt Volcano 5 running on it, w/ AS in between. This seems pretty high to me... Any suggestions?

ya, thats a little high, but its okay if u dont plan on overclocking it any. Im sure u could get better temps with a newer heatsink

80mm sucking air out in the back of the case, about 6-8 inches from the proc, and I had a 92mm expansion slot blowhole, but that case had to be sent back. Ill get it back soon-- but it was running the same temp then.

yea, you need better airflow, that sucks.....after you get a couple more fans in it (maybe one in the front, and on on the top, then come back and tell us what that was done to the temps, or you could just go get a new heatsink....i suggest the alpha pal 8045, or the swiftech mcx478 or whatever it is, or the thermalright AX-7....all very good heatsinks

I'm thinkin' maybe you should check and make sure your HS is malink good contact with the cpu. What is room temp? What is MB temp? 49c may be hot for me, but if you live in the Mohave desert it might not be so bad. At normal room temps, a "generic " HS should give you better temps that what you are getting. :D

Yeah, its got pretty good contact (as far as I can tell-- Ive only put it on there 9 or 10 times, it would have gotten on right at least one of those...) Room temp is prolly 70* F. I live in Charlotte, NC, so its not like its 110 outside.

I will be cutting out the little crappy grate on the back and replacing it with a real grate, i just dont feel like taking the mobo out right now. Somewhere I have a little 80mm fan, as soon as i cut my IDE cables so they are rounded, I will put it back in there.

OK... I have to be doing something wrong... now its at 54* C. How do I check to make sure its got good contact? It is hooked on all of the pins, so its not like its loose... What am I doing wrong?

I have the same HSF (volcano 5) and my temp runs 40c under full load....I have a 80mm fan intaking air in the front of the case....a 92mm fan on the side mounted directly over the CPU that intakes air and two 80mm fans on the back exhausting air.....idle temps are 35-36C.......see sig for cpu specs:beer:

Yeah, so its got to be me doing something wrong. I dont think I put too much AS on there, but I can try with less I suppose... Could the HSF not be making good contatct?

I would say that you main consern should be getting the air inside your computer circulating.......if you add some fans to intake and exhaust the air you'll see a drop in temp...when I added the one on the front of my case it drop cpu temp by 5degrees......so it is imparative that the air in the case is not stagnant...otherwise you are "cooling" your cpu with hot air...see what I mean?:beer:

Yeah... Since I dont have any extra fans at the moment, Ill take the side panel off and see if I see any drop...

OK, I took the side off, and stuck a 92mm fan I had in there... Temps dropped from 55* to 51* (after about 20 minutes... we will see if they drop more). Thats an improvement, but im still running hot. :mad:

c&p from another post from earlier today.

Temps are not as big an issue as the stability. The cores on a tbird or xp are more durable than given credit and amd recommendation for temps are to be no higher than 200f/93c. Now I personally don't like high temps myself but have done high heat tests with an old 1.33 tbird just to see how high I could get the temps before loosing stability.

I tried three different hs before I achieved the max temp I felt comfortable going with for the test. I ended up with a retail hsf from a 1gig tibird with the fan@ 7v. I did not overclock, for obvious reasons, but did raise the core voltage to 1.85v. At full load the cpu temps were between 87-89c. At first I was sweating bullets. But after a few hours at full load, I was felling a bit better.

I maintained this setup for over a month to see if the core was going to die. Playing games, seti@home, benchmarks and anything I could do to keep the cpu rocking at that high temp. The cpu stayed stable the whole time and to this date, the cpu is still working and is still a good overclocking axia core

The moral of my tests was to educate myself about the durability of the core and the myth on how heat can kill your cpu. To me, stability is more important than heat. If you plan on overclocking, do worry about heat but if your overclock is stable, even at or above 60c, you should be fine. One of my seti crunchers is presently at 59c and the up time to date is 10day 14hrs 33min.

r12

Well, Ive got it down to 42* C by putting a monster desk fan by the open case... but that obviously cant stay :eh?:

I have found in my case anyway, that the readings off MBM are 8 degrees c lower than actual. I have a Digidoc sensor epoxied to the bottom of my cpu. I have seen where some motherboards read higher than actual. Maybe your temps are normal. Idunno.
One way to check would be to get a thermometer or a chaeap rat shack digital thermometer and locate it in the case near the motherboard sensor and see how the temps agree with MBM.:D :beer:

Back