• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Test Out BF3 for the Front Page? - 2600K Required for Uniformity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Hi BF3 fans! AMD sent me a key for the game to test out a couple of their video cards. So far I've tested the 6970 & 6990 individually and will be testing them in tri-fire as time allows (probably early next week). If you don't already have them, both companies have drivers for BF3 out (AMD is supposed to be finalizing theirs relatively soon).

So far, EarthDog has tested a GTX580 for me and MattNo5ss plans on testing two in SLI. I'd like to get some more GPU data if possible, but the system requirements are pretty specific. If you don't have identical RAM, I think that can be excused and I'll just put a * next to your result noting that in the article. The most important is that you match the CPU & its overclock. Here are the specs:

• i7 2600K @ 4.5 GHz (Removing any possible CPU bottleneck.)
  • DDR3-2133 / 9-11-9-28 (If you don't have that, but have the CPU run at the required overclock, just note your RAM speed & timings in your post)
  • {BYO GPU} running @ stock
  • The game test should be run at 1920 x 1080 and using the "Ultra" setting, with all the defaults that applies when set.

The method of testing is manual, but is remarkably consistent (we're talking less than 1 FPS difference between runs). Instructions:

1. Turn on Fraps
  2. Start the first mission: Operation Semper Fidelis
  3. Begin recording FPS (F11 by default) after you pick up the pistol and are looking forward.
  4. Work through the level as normal.
  5. Stop recording FPS when you're at the end of the level and the game takes over motion, hit F11 again when the guy puts his hands up.
  6. Repeat 3x at stock (the runs take approx 5 min each including the beginning cutscene).
  7. (Optional) If you feel ambitious, overclock your GPU to its stable 24/7 overclock and run it once.

The nature of this level makes it perfect for consistent and repeatable FPS results, which is why we decided to go with it. Plus it doesn't require people to play far into the game. There is a lot of detail to stress the GPU. Of course, being enclosed, this level will give slightly higher FPS than a massive 64 player online map. I'll play Caspian Border and record some FPS runs to see how much it drops, then make a note in the article.

If you have the system and want to take approx 20min to help out with the article, we'd be grateful! I'm hoping to publish it sometime next week; anyone that tests will be mentioned in the article of course. For results, please post your GPU info (and RAM if applicable), then upload the minmaxavg excel spreadsheets from your runs; zipped might be easiest so you only have to upload once. If you feel nice and want to make life easier you can rename the files like GPU-r1-stock-minmaxavg.xls or GPU-oc-coremhz_memmhz-minmaxavg.xls. For example:

• HD6970-r1-stock-minmaxavg.xls
  • HD6970-oc-960mhz_1275mhz-minmaxavg.xls

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything above is unclear. Thanks to anyone that's able to help out! :salute:

List of GPUs Already Tested (so we don't have duplicates)
Single 6970 - Stock & Overclocked to 960 core, memory stock.
Single 6990 - Stock & Overclocked to 960 cores, memory stock
Single GTX580 - Stock & Overclocked to 922/1844/2103
Tri-fire 6990 + 6970 - Stock & Overclocked to 950 cores, memory stock

Last edited:
Im curious as to the effect of memory speeds on this bench. I may try running these with 1600Mhz speeds and see if there is a difference.

Anyhoo, should be an interesting thread/results! :)

I can help with both single and dual gtx 580's. I might be able to get some 570's as well to test. I'll have to steal the wifes monitor for 1920x1080.

I finally got the game installed last night after having trouble with it for a while. So, I should be able to get GTX580 SLI results soon.

I can help with both single and dual gtx 580's. I might be able to get some 570's as well to test.

Definitely interested in the 570's. EarthDog already did single 580 and MattNo5ss is taking care of SLI 580's.

We don't want to duplicate results really - it wouldn't be worth the volunteer's valuable time to re-run tests we already have. If you can get those 570's though, that would be great. Thanks! :attn:

Got a 2500k at that speed with a 6950 unlocked :) though sadly no time this week here.

GL looking forward to what results come out of this! Be interesting to see a true DX11 game at work.

I'd help, but my resolution is 1680x1050. Seems like that's a pretty uncommon resolution nowadays or something. ;) The 6950 might also not be different enough for this? I do have a 5770 I use test with as well.

Last edited:
Tell you what. If you guys really want to help out, there is one way we could do it - overclocked! I'll list overclocks in the OP too. If you are clocked > 10-15 MHz more or less, feel free to chime in and we'll see how OC'ing scales. :)

Now, let me tell you there isn't much difference in FPS when overclocking with this game, but there is some. I managed ~9% with a 6970 and ~5% with a 6990, which equated to 4 FPS each.

LOL... I ran BF3 at 1000 Core Clock on my Matrix the other day... Does that count?

Edit: Looked back at my notes... I guess that was in the Beta... Which means the Ultra settings didn't work yet.

I'd still be game to give 'er a try though.

Tell you what. If you guys really want to help out, there is one way we could do it - overclocked! I'll list overclocks in the OP too. If you are clocked > 10-15 MHz more or less, feel free to chime in and we'll see how OC'ing scales. :)

Now, let me tell you there isn't much difference in FPS when overclocking with this game, but there is some. I managed ~9% with a 6970 and ~5% with a 6990, which equated to 4 FPS each.

:thup: You got it.

Definitely interested in the 570's. EarthDog already did single 580 and MattNo5ss is taking care of SLI 580's.

We don't want to duplicate results really - it wouldn't be worth the volunteer's valuable time to re-run tests we already have. If you can get those 570's though, that would be great. Thanks! :attn:

Working on getting them in my hands.

I can help if still needed, I got a gtx465 and the 2600k. Let me know if you still need data.

My display is 1920x1080 but my ram is 16gb-1333mhz@9-10-10-25

Definitely need as much data as possible. I'd like a decent range of GPUs to see how they stack up. If your RAM isn't identical, just let us know what it is and we'll make notations in the article. :thup:

Hokie I will test tonight memory speed differences and report back. Maybe its nill (thats my guess).

Same here, I will probably do some testing for you tonight granted if have enough to buy the game in the bank. (probably do though)

EDIT: Ok have the install disk in hand, need to power-cycle my PC and hook up my CD-ROM so I can install. :)

You guys have made your runs with speed-step off though correct?

Last edited:
OK!

CPUZ Validation for this test

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
4538, 139418, 24, 45, 32.55,
4518, 139122, 22, 45, 32.475,
4446, 144551, 20, 44, 30.757,

(Comma delimited, sorry :shrug: yet to look up the columns bbcode here)

EDIT: NOTE: Speedstep was OFF

Last edited:
My 4870x2 did good in the beta @ 1680x1050,.....So Im out unless you really want the 4870x2 in their for comparison, then I can probably borrow a 1080p monitor.

Edit I do have ram that will do have ram that does 2133 easy.

Last edited:
How about a weak 720BE and a weak HD5670 hokie? I'm sure I can get you results for that combo, but the FPS would be in the single digits for sure. :D

Back