• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Anti-Virus Software Myth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
3) Do you use the protections listed in this article ? If not what do you use to protect yourself.

I've used Trend Micro's PC-Cillan for about 5 years.I've always updated it and had the real time monitor operating 24/7 except when defragging or installing somthing.I've NEVER had a virus.Not 1 system crash either.It uses about 14k of resources on my system,maybe a little more with the firewall.Ive never felt any slowdown aside from the fact I have an xp2500 with 1gig of ram.:)

UnseenMenace said:
1) What mail client do you use... do you consider its standard settings to be safe or have you changed them ?
2) Has your email client ever mailed a virus to someone in your address book ? - How did you feel about this
3) Do you use the protections listed in this article ? If not what do you use to protect yourself
4) Do you allow executables such as .exe, .com, .bat, .src, .pif, .js, .vbs to be sent to you via email ?
5) Are we the users part of the problem with out attitudes towards virus?
6) Can companys producing email software such as Microsoft do more, Should they ?
6) Is the following good advice as suggested by the article? Do you follow it
7) Is Anti-Virus software overated and relied on more than common sence?
8) What is your opinion of the Article ?
1) Mainly Thunderbird, and sometimes Eudora (different mail accounts). They're safe enough for me. I highly recommend these tests for your mail client to derive how secure it is.

2) Nope. And just a note: my address book is fairly empty. Most email addys I remember off hand, or use the reply to button.

3) Not really. I don't use MS mail clients at home (outlook @ work :(), I use an email virus scanner and I don't get email from anyone I don't know (and if it does have an attachement, it will really depend on what it is before I open it. However, there is no "I'm not going to open any attachements" rule in my book.

4) Usually don't get any, but if I know it's coming, from a trusted friend, and my AV software didn't catch it, I see no reason not to.

5) Are users not mad enough at viruses? I don't think that's the issue. I think the issue is that some people are grossly misinformed about viruses and email altogether.

6) I think they have done a lot. A lot of companies that offer email software are usually on the ball about bug and exploit fixes. Microsoft, having the largest market share, and if you pardon my prejudice, the dumbest audience, so they are the biggest target. All email clients have bugs and exploits. Microsoft is being picked on because of the number of infectable boxes is large, and the users are generally dumb. They DO release fixes in a timely manner, like all other software companies, but their users don't always patch.

7) For most people yes, having anti-virus software makes you immune to viruses and stupidity.

8) I believe the article has it's merrits. I think antivirus software took a big hit when it came to SoBig. Mainly because of the false-"your infected" messages. They caused more damage than the virus itself. That only happened because the virus decided to do something different than all other email viruses, change the "from" field. In the past, however, it allowed countless unknowing users to know that they were infected. (And was a good thing until SoBig came along)

Personally, I don't get any spam, or viruses. I didn't get a single copy of SoBig at any of my 4 email accounts. I havn't gotten spam in years. The trick that I've found is to not overly communicate your email address. I've found that www.sneakemail.com is an invaluable resource when filling out online forms, or the "email address" line on surveys at conventions. Only a tight-knit group of my friends know my email address, and they're smart enough not to (A) hand it out, and (B) get infected with a virus that would hand it out. I also don't post it to any sites or mailing lists.

With that said, I am a firm believer that being smart about email can go a long way. However, it does not replace a virus scanner a good email program, and keeping up to date with updates and patches.

Here's the links again, just incase you skimmed the rest of my post ;)
http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/
http://www.sneakemail.com/

Last edited:
Thanx for that gfi.com link. I'm being tested and so far so good on my end. Pegasus and AVG are nailing all suspect files.

Charter OTOH passed virtually all suspect email attatchments. I'm not surprised as I've talked with them and their philosophy is to just provide a broadband internet connection and figure it's up to the users to protect themselves. If something gets through and burns you, too bad and better get yourself effective protection.

UnseenMenace said:

1) What mail client do you use... do you consider its standard settings to be safe or have you changed them ?
2) Has your email client ever mailed a virus to someone in your address book ? - How did you feel about this
3) Do you use the protections listed in this article ? If not what do you use to protect yourself
4) Do you allow executables such as .exe, .com, .bat, .src, .pif, .js, .vbs to be sent to you via email ?
6) Can companys producing email software such as Microsoft do more, Should they ?

I use Outlook and Eudora, depends on my mood, and Yahoo, hotmail etc via Mozilla Firebird (if that counts).

Nope, never gotten one in the mail, ever.

Common sense and Norton, but really only when I am dling things that I KNOW could be virus's, I just scan them w/ it. I don't Dl attachment fies unless they are text or sent by me.

I think SOME user's, just because they dont use a lil commone sense, my mom for example dled and ran a 3byte .bat abou 10 times thinking it was an audio file.

Ya, ya, except for not using anti-vi software.

Tes.

Good but I think it denys some good aspects of Anti-Virus Software.

Skipping to the last two questions, yes it is relied on more than common sense alot of the time.

The article was ok, but it basically stated AV software has no use, I think it still does it can stop spreading from the more ignorant folks that dont bother with precations.

Also, my AV software is free(Computer Associates Etrust promotional, with free definitions) and most motherboards come with pccillin etc, so 99% of people that build pc's should have AV Software for free.

Outlook and Outlook Express.

No. Not in the past 4 years, so I feel fine. Just in case it does, I set up a fake Outlook contact as a catch-all for any auto-mailing.

I use Zone Alarm, that's it. Haven't had a virus in the past 3 months. I have no Anti-Virus software and I didn't catch the SoBig virus.

Yes.

It depends on the user. If you know what you're doing, you don't need anti-virus.

Maybe, but I'm sure it would be at the cost of functionality.

No. I use Outlook and Outlook Express w/no problem and the are easy to use. I do not open executables from people I don't know.

YES! Zone Alarm is all I use. Prevention is the best method.

Makes some good points, but most are overkill.

My methods:
-Install a firewall (hardware and/or software)
-Disable auto-running of any scripts/ActiveX controls
-Don't open attachments or files from people you don't know.
-Create a fake invalid address book contact such as (FakeContact@@.com) so any auto-mailing will prompt you that this address is not valid and will therefore stop the mailing process.
-Which E-mail software you choose to use is irrelevant.

Just a question to the people who don't use an anti-virus program, and say they don't get infected.

How can you be absolutely 100% sure you don't have a virus?

Not all virii mess up your computer so bad they become unusable.

All it takes though is a friend to take over a disk to your computer, open a word document and you could be infected. Some virii are spread through websites, and not just emails.

For those that use a software firewall, how could you say NAV is bloated?

Back