• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Cold Heat soldering iron.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mycobacteria said:
I hear people are cold welding thier proc directly to the HSF, so the HSF and proc are 1 piece of metal ie no need for AS5.

Has anyone else heard of this?
nope where did you see that ?

I am lucky enough to have access to one of these when I need to solder or de-solder. I work for an electronics manufacturer and we have hundreds of these things out on the manufacturing floor. They mainly use them to repair bad units or correct problems caused by the wave solder machines. Since switching to wave most of them sit idle.

I have a Cold Heat at home. I hated it. Too difficult to hold comfortably.

orion25 said:
I am lucky enough to have access to one of these when I need to solder or de-solder. I work for an electronics manufacturer and we have hundreds of these things out on the manufacturing floor.

OMG...:eek:....I...want...one...:burn:

squeakygeek said:
I think I remember hearing about this too. It sounds like a really bad idea.

I thought it was better than thermal paste, since it is one piece of metal, you don't have an extra area of contact.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
I thought it was better than thermal paste, since it is one piece of metal, you don't have an extra area of contact.

Maybe if your only determination of "better" is how well it transfers heat. I maintain that it's a bad idea.

But also, I'm not sure that it was better in that sense. Maybe AS5 would still work better. I don't really remember.

i believe the most ironic thing about that is if you remember in the tv commericial they said

"FIX YOUR ELECTRONICS"
and they soldered a wire to a pcb on a r/c car!!!

I got caught by the sales pitch and ended up getting a cold heat.
I'm don't think I've managed to make more than 5 joins with it, back to my basic 40w Weller.

I ran across an article on Afrotech's cheap hacks.
http://www.afrotechmods.com/cheap/iron/iron.htm
It suggested hooking you solder iron up to a outlet hooked into a light dimmer switch so you have a cheap variable temperature iron.
Sounds like a good idea to me, but I was sold on the Cold Heat idea. Any reason I shouldn't?

Back