• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The MP, XP, Thunderbird and Duron SMP answer.[Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
GotNoRice said:
Can you unlock AthlonXP's (For MP use) with a pencil like TBirds?

No, you need to bridge the L5 bridge with some conductive fluid.
Attempts to use pencils have been unsuccessful.

Here is an intresting FACT.The MP chipset was made and tested BEFORE A SINGLE XP OR MP CHIP was ever produced.All testing for the MP chipset was done using the T-Bird.

As far as chips running in dual mode any socket A Processor is able to, but AMD decided to cut the L5 bridge on the XP line to discourage and Stop people from running them.

It is also been mentioned somewhere that some main boards will detect a NON-MP chip like the T-Bird and only allow single processor usage.This is unique to the MPX line of main boards where the Bios is programmed to do this.

So the Tyan S2460 WILL WITH NO DOUBT run durons,T-birds,XP {Modded} And MP processors................................. Thats ALL Socket A chips ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Re: The MP, XP, Thunderbird and Duron SMP answer.

Jon said:
Initial reports indicate that Bartons are compatible with the MPX chipset and are also SMP capable. (It has now been verified that Bartons will run on the Iwill MPX2 and the MSI K7D Master.) Please note that Bartons are manufacted to run at 166 FSB, so you will probably want to modify the multiplier on them, if you run them on a dual system with FSB below 166. The bridge codes for Bartons are identical to T-breds and those manufactured with a stock multiplier below 12.5 should be unlocked, though only on motherboards that allow multiplier change, such as the MSI K7D Master

thats what i was looking for,i missed it the first time, thankyou!:)

diehrd or anybody else who can help!

what kind of options do you get with the Tyan 2460 (just bought one on ebay), i was thinking of using two tbred Bs i've got, is it worth it or should i pair up an tbird 1333 and save the tbreds for single usage?

Thanks

Note: Dual tbred Bs would mean i have to buy a new processor for my main rig, where as a tbird 1333 would mean i install one of the cores in my other machine.

Last edited:
This is an age old issue..Well as old as the AMD dual system became available...

The 762Mp chip set used in the AMD duals WAS actually created before the MP and XP line of processors. It was released just after AMD tooled up to produce XP,MP chips. What makes this a rather important point is that AMD used the T-Bird processor durring testing and development of there dual chipset.

Do not be surprised if AMD chips work on a dual board because ALL processors made by AMD are glueless from the K-6 to present. Gluelss is a term that basicaly means no special hardware or software is needed for there microprocessors to communicate with another like processor. That is WHY the L-5 has to be laser cut by AMD at the factory.

The other way that was used to prevent XP or other chips running in a dual board was with the Bios of the main board.The board was able to distinguish the cupid, there by seeing chips that are not MP..I am posititive that the early MPX boards had this ability but would bet any betting man that there latest Bios flash would not have this feature built into it. I say this because many Durons and XP chips that did not run on early MPX boards appear to do so now.

Ahhhh looking back on the Dual question will it or will it not ? It was very fun doing the research I did, trying to save my wallet and cheat AMD at the same time lol...The people now looking into duals have some advantages I did not, and I am very pleased to see this question that is so timeless once again being discussed.....

Truely if someone wanted to figure out what will and what wont work you have to do a survey that would include the manufacture of the main board the bios revision and what chips are thay using.After you get a 100 or more responses look closely and you will see that the MPX and MP chipsets are virtually all using anything from Duron's, T-birds to MP......On the MPX boards pay close attention to BIOS revision....Yet On the MP board dont waste your time, ALL Tyan boards will run any AMD socket A processor just fine.Remember the MP chipset was a Tyan Exclusive and no other maker released there boards untill AMD released the MPX chipset......... Diehrd........................

Thanks for the input, if I can find a cheap Barton i'll go with the dual 1700s and see what I can do. :)

But chances are that I will be getting another 1333 T'bird (hopefully a AYHJA like the one I already have, as in my sig).

Either way another dual proccessor system to enter the expanding collection of (just off antique) computers that make up my SETI crunching farm!! :D

Last edited:
Just looked at my AYHJA 1333 T'bird, it only has one set of L5 pins? :eh?: And more confusing, they are already connected? :confused:

Can anyone tell me where i can find some info about T'bird cores and MP settings, just want to make sure this can work!!! :-/

Thanks

Last edited:
I have got my dual rig going, of sorts!!

I have installed both the CPUs, but it only shows up with one in Windows XP and i get a bios warning saying that the tbirds are not MP and would run in an unsupported mode, is it using both???

One thing that my be causing the problem, they are not matching tbirds: Old tbird is 1.3GHz AYHJA, while the new one is 1.3GHz AXIA, but they are still both 133MHz bus and 1.75v core. Getting really confused now, any help????

All reply appreciated

BigL

Bang for the buck (I have to keep it cheap to please the wife!)

Hi all! I have a chance to pick up two new 1.2 Athlon MP's (manf date: Sept 03) at $35 each. I have all other componets except a mobo. My wife hates, literally me spending money on any pc stuff) so I want a dually (as my FINAL PC)for more folding power to add to my small farm. I have seen mixed results ocing these mps. A good choice for a cheap dually????

1. XP 2500 (187x12.5) 2. XP 2200 (140x13.5) 3. P4 1.7 (OEM) 4. P4 1.8 (OEM) 5. Dually in process

The best motherboard has got to be the MSI K7D Master, best for overclocking and not as particular about its memory requirements.

Its at about £165.00 compared to the Tyan TigerMPX at £185.00 here, not sure about america though!!

Hope this helps :)

Palamino's 1.2 MPs

I want at least one more folding machine, as that's all it will be doing. I have the chance to get 2x1.2mHz MP at $70 (manf date Sept 02).

Question 1. Are these good overclockers?

I can build an SMP system with these processors for around $233. However I can build a 2100 XP single system for around $200.

Question 2. Of these two systems that will be running 24/7 only for folding purposes, which will give me more folding WU per a given time frame?

My folding stats

1. XP 2500 (187x12.5) 2. XP 2200 (140x13.5) 3. P4 1.7 (OEM) 4. P4 1.8 (OEM) 5. Dually or single or both in progress

Would 2 AMD 2500 Bartons work? Ive been reading up on this topic and still cant find a direct answer. Also will connecting the L5 change the performance at all?

The chip will have to be set to 133 fsb which lowers it's closk speed.meaning you will have to up the Multiplier with a pin mod as long as the chip is not super locked.

Connecting the L-5 only makes it work in an smp.Connection for use in a single board will have no effect on the chip....

Back