• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fumes could also be flux that was not properly cleaned off of the card....flux stinks....but so does burning plastic.... :p

Tell me about burning plastic.... Jeez that thing reeks. Its what happens when you burn a plastic cup with a box-ful of matches xD

Damn, I just ended up with a BFG Geforce 6800GS OC that will randomly blackscreen/glitch screen and i was thinking of baking it, but it can't find an rohs logo on it. I'm not sure i want to take the chance of ruining my gf's oven or realsing poisonous fumes in our place.

Maybe I can bake the P5K Deluxe motherboard I have here that is acting up!

Damn, I just ended up with a BFG Geforce 6800GS OC that will randomly blackscreen/glitch screen and i was thinking of baking it, but it can't find an rohs logo on it. I'm not sure i want to take the chance of ruining my gf's oven or realsing poisonous fumes in our place.

Maybe I can bake the P5K Deluxe motherboard I have here that is acting up!

ya that was before the time of RoHS.... but really if your gettin the card hot enough to VAPORIZE the lead (which is when you have to worry bout lead problems) then your card will be long gone.

at 385-400*f ur fine.

i had to post here... IT WORKED FOR ME TOO!

today i was bored, reading some old threads and found this one regarding baking a 8800gtx thinking, "wtf? they can't be serious". then read through a few pages and it looked legit. watched a couple of videos on Youtube and was sold - pulled my broken 8800gtx out of the drawer and gave it a try - fugger worked like a charm. lucky for me i had a full tube of Artic Silver Ceramic sitting around.

so, now i have a 275 and an 8800gtx for my second box that i was contemplating giving to pops for when my neices and nephews visit. should i use the 8800gtx for physics with the 275 as the main?

not looking to build another box as i just spent $3k+ on a sandy bridge machine last month

To the original poster - THANK YOU. baking a broken $500 video card was probably the coolest thing i have ever done with a pc component.

wow. over 160k views here and almost 600k on hardforum, totalling almost 1500 replies. props to the OP for this ingenious idea!

i had to post here... IT WORKED FOR ME TOO!

today i was bored, reading some old threads and found this one regarding baking a 8800gtx thinking, "wtf? they can't be serious". then read through a few pages and it looked legit. watched a couple of videos on Youtube and was sold - pulled my broken 8800gtx out of the drawer and gave it a try - fugger worked like a charm. lucky for me i had a full tube of Artic Silver Ceramic sitting around.

so, now i have a 275 and an 8800gtx for my second box that i was contemplating giving to pops for when my neices and nephews visit. should i use the 8800gtx for physics with the 275 as the main?

not looking to build another box as i just spent $3k+ on a sandy bridge machine last month

To the original poster - THANK YOU. baking a broken $500 video card was probably the coolest thing i have ever done with a pc component.

i hope you didnt use a full tube of as5 on it... thats overly much.

either way, as far as aphyx card, check the phyx game list... id be willing to bet you have VERY few if any games that support phyx... and thus it wont be worth it to have the extra card drawing power constantly.

i hope you didnt use a full tube of as5 on it... thats overly much.

either way, as far as aphyx card, check the phyx game list... id be willing to bet you have VERY few if any games that support phyx... and thus it wont be worth it to have the extra card drawing power constantly.

whole tube of as5???? lol

:rofl:

Note to any one trying this, don't use a small toaster oven. I did a test on a known dead card, and the coils started to burn the PCB facing up before it reached the correct temperature.

wow. over 160k views here and almost 600k on hardforum, totalling almost 1500 replies. props to the OP for this ingenious idea!

Sup :D

I had no idea this would be so popular!, I am hardly on this forum much nowadays, but its great to see it working for so many people (all over the internet)

Note to all:
Please dont read this thread and then go and buy faulty cards on ebay and then resell them, Alot of people are doing it and the fix is temporary
Now the majority of 8800gtx's that are 'faulty' have been baked, Same goes for the 9800gx2's

I just successfully cooked my old GeForce 6800NU which was retired about 4 years ago due to massive artifacts all over the screen, at all times. 7 minutes at 385 F in a glass bowl, no smells, fumes, nothing, and it now works perfectly! That's my second card back from the dead..

No wonder my 1950-pro lasted so long. I had in a 820D and a 940D system. With those two CPUs, you don't need no stinking oven. :)

Hi

I have just dismantled my GTX 295 ready for baking... (last resort)

I have noticed the chunks of thermal compound on the memory etc... I have thermal paste, ready for the re-build, but do I need thermal pads, or will paste suffice?

Thanks. Demon

If you can, you will want to use pads. There is a large gap between the heatsink and the RAM chips. Thermal paste is better than nothing, but it isn't ideal.

Against all odds...

Admittedly I was skeptical of this method when I first read about it, okay actually I thought it was ludicrous, because I figured if anything putting a piece of computer hardware (or anything electronic for that matter) into a hot oven would reduce said hardware to a smoking pile of silicon, ram chips, transistors, capacitors, and other assorted components and might very well result in it bursting into flames.

To my amazement though, this trick actually worked for me on an old 8800GTX I bought as a non-functional unit from another member here.

I could not even get my computer to boot with this card in the first time I tried it, but right now it is running just fine with that very same card in it without issue (post-baking of course).

I decided to just do a short bake on mine, since I was wary of the idea, and only put the card in for five minutes.

I guess that makes another success story and recommendation for this procedure.

Last edited:
just fixed another hp laptop with a classic nvidia chipset failure.

this time a DV2940SE .... used some no clean flux i got on ebay for 2 bucks, and a heatgun, running stress tests now, but it looks like she is workin fine. System temps are alot cooler as i modded the cooling with proper thermal paste, and used a copper shim instead of the crap stock thermal pad for the chipset. Copper shim = a filed down old penny... works like a charm!

Admittedly I was skeptical of this method when I first read about it, okay actually I thought it was ludicrous, because I figured if anything putting a piece of computer hardware (or anything electronic for that matter) into a hot oven would reduce said hardware to a smoking pile of silicon, ram chips, transistors, capacitors, and other assorted components and might very well result in it bursting into flames.

To my amazement though, this trick actually worked for me on an old 8800GTX I bought as a non-functional unit from another member here.

I could not even get my computer to boot with this card in the first time I tried it, but right now it is running just fine with that very same card in it without issue (post-baking of course).

I decided to just do a short bake on mine, since I was wary of the idea, and only put the card in for five minutes.

I guess that makes another success story and recommendation for this procedure.

Wah, wah, wah.

Card died again.

Put it in last night and couldn't get the system to post, then on the second try it posted but was artifacting pretty bad with parallel lines running down the screen, it hung up after post and refused to boot.

So, the oven is heating up right now and hopefully a re-bake will do it.

I just don't think I had it in long enough the first time, because initially after the first baking I had those same lines on boot up, but it went away then.

Wah, wah, wah.

Card died again.

Put it in last night and couldn't get the system to post, then on the second try it posted but was artifacting pretty bad with parallel lines running down the screen, it hung up after post and refused to boot.

So, the oven is heating up right now and hopefully a re-bake will do it.

I just don't think I had it in long enough the first time, because initially after the first baking I had those same lines on boot up, but it went away then.

Did around a seven-minute bake this time.

It's working again, for how long I can't say.

It did the parallel lines thing again on first boot up, but then that problem went away.

Just did a run of AquaMark3 to test it, which it completed without issue with 70K+ on the score.

Hi. Have just registered to be able to post another sucessful bake. Brought an Inno3D 8800GTS after being told it had driver issues. First time I slung it into a machine it had artifacts all over the screen then crashed. Took it apart, slung in into the oven at 195 degrees C and all go. Also, this card has a big round sticker stating RoHS Compliant so hopefully no heavy metals were burnt.

Back