• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The X800GTO2 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
benbaked said:
so i'm a little confused, are all of the sapphire x800gto2 cards still using the R480 core?

Pretty sure as everyone who has bought the new cards has unlocked the pipes and clocked to xt pe speeds (540/590).

benbaked said:
so i'm a little confused, are all of the sapphire x800gto2 cards still using the R480 core?
From what I know, they are ALL R480 core.

OC/ingmaddog said:
Pretty sure as everyone who has bought the new cards has unlocked the pipes and clocked to xt pe speeds (540/590).
Not true. A lot of them are also stuck around 500-535mhz. I've had 6 total, and only two of them broke 540. The one I have right now just started artifacting at 550/615, and I have tall sinks on the ram, as well as watercooling on the gpu that has yet to break 32-33C. Some cores are not that powerful.

netnexus said:
Do you mean my generic samsung value ram or the ram on my GTO2? If the latter, how did you tell the timings from my 3dmark page?

EDIT: Oh wait, you're talking about 201 mhz because of the cpu/14 divider, aren't you?

Yeah, it's an alright score. I was hoping to berak 8k, hoping this puppy would do 600 on the core.. too bad it crapped out at 560 (and even then it's only benchable, NFSMW just hangs sometimes if I try to play it at that - either faulty PSU, too low voltage on the card or it just won't go any further).

I am picking up a new PSU (liberty 620) to replace my true power 2.0 430 (it's a little sketchy on the rails with my current cpu OC) so hopefully this may solve my freezing and low clocks.. if not, looks like I'm stuck at 550/600 because I don't really want to do a vmod. I artifact at 35 degrees at load, and I'm not sure why :( :shrug:

Yes, I saw it say 201mhz, and you said it was generic ram in your post before. You should be happy with 560core. With the insanely low temps I get, I can't even break low 550s benchable without artifacting.

g0dM@n said:
From what I know, they are ALL R480 core.

Not true. A lot of them are also stuck around 500-535mhz. I've had 6 total, and only two of them broke 540. The one I have right now just started artifacting at 550/615, and I have tall sinks on the ram, as well as watercooling on the gpu that has yet to break 32-33C. Some cores are not that powerful.

Yes, I saw it say 201mhz, and you said it was generic ram in your post before. You should be happy with 560core. With the insanely low temps I get, I can't even break low 550s benchable without artifacting.

My bad...:). Wow man you've had 6 total but only two of them brok 540M? Jeez. I'm suprised with your watercooling you couldn't go higher...:(. My card goes up to 564/606 benchmarking and gaming stable...with no artifacts. About 570 on the core locks it up and about 610 on the mem creates artifacting. I'm suprised mine doesn't artifact as it gets about 60C while benching/gaming.

Luck of the draw I guess...I got a good one.

You got unlucky...:( Are you going to buy another one?? Haha. :D

I feel like the lower temps don't help OCing at all, no joke. I've swapped cooling on most of the cards I had, and it never affecting the OCing potential in the end after a long time of ATItool. What I did notice when I went from air to water is that on water it took longer to finally drop to its final core clock with ATItool. On air, it got to it's final clock quicker.

These cores are not affected by cooling so much. My guess is these are the weakest of the weak R480 cores from ATI. That's the reason they're found in a card with a normal clock of 400Mhz. I haven't noticed any real gains by switching coolers other than temperatures. Voltmods do help though.

Yeah, but I'm apprehensive about volt mods. I would really like 600 on the core though, that would give me the equivelant performance of a 7800GT.. and considering I got this card in a trade for a 6800GT..

I'm an idiot... I still have to get to doing a voltmod. :D

Btw, nice opteron 148 there HR, lol.

New scores, now with added screen cap goodness.

X800GTO2 603/585 Zalman VF700CU Cat 5.13 No Voltmod

3DM03 13853

f707e0fe.jpg

3DM05 6839

6839.jpg

I have removed any offensive language in the screen cap.

Last edited:
untitled.jpg

OC.jpg

556 core and 596 memory isnt too bad on stock cooling since I could of pushed it alot further and I didnt burn it in yet. Tommorow I will be putting the VF700 in there and hopefully I can OC it to 590 core and 630 memory.

with my mediocre system i score a a bit over 5000 :shrug: something is not right with your pc... most of ur hardware totaly pwns mines.

Michael are you sure you flashed it to 16 pipes? That score seems low for have a 3700+ and a well clocking card.

I bumped it up to 5045 just by switching my ram over to T1. How high should my score be? My system specs are in my profile, and yes I did flash it to 16 pixel pipelines.

X800GTO2 at X850XTPE speeds
AMD 3700+ at 2.2
2 gigs of kingston pc2700 ram
Seagate sata 160 gig HDD
Antec mid tower case
Sparkle 520 watt psu
Zalman vf700-cu
Freezer 64 Pro
Asus a8n5x motherboard
Dell 17 inch crt

Last edited:
Michael, you probably need to run DRIVERCLEANER. That will most likely help if you really are at 16 pipelines.

Download drivercleaner via a google search, and then follow the directions it tells you. It shouldn't take you over 10-15min, and will probably fix your problem. :)

I fixed the problem,thanks for the help guys. 564/600 on stock cooling.

Good2.jpg

6739 in 3dmark05 now

Last edited:
you got a good chip there michael...... added to the wall of fame...... thanks for posting.

No problem houserat, this is easily the best card that you can get for the money and I am very impressed so far. It seems like burning it in really helps it out since now I can hit the 570 core mark easily without it locking up at a pretty low temp since before I was trying to run it at 570 with the fans running at only 50%. Now I have them running at 100% and im pretty sure that I can get it up to 585 core 630 memory with stock fan/heatsink. My goal for this card is to have it running at 605 core 650 memory stabily once that I burn it in a little more and replace the stock heatsink/fan with my Zalman. I will post the results as I get them. 3Dmark05 6858 now im running it at 570 core 624 memory. What memory timings are you running at on your GTO houserat? I wanted to play around with them later on this week.

Damngood.jpg

Last edited:
*Update*

Before I jumped in the shower I had ati tool find my max memory,when I got out of the shower everything on my monitor was blocky looking and when I rebboted my computer and I opened ati tool back up it said that the last recorded memory oc was 680!!! It looks like I have good memory on this card too. Hopefully if I mess around with the volts and when I put on the zalman I can see how far the memory will go. Maybe I can push it to X1800XT speeds.

what are you guys getting for temp's with stock cooling... and those of you who have like the silencers or zAlman gpu hsf's... or any other cooling for that matter besides liquid

Back