• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Compound on the heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mugzy0130

Registered
On an AMD CPU when you put thermal compound, do you put a thin layer all around the heatsink? Or only in the middle part?

I personally spread a little on the center of the Heatsink (a little larger than the core), rub it in very well, and then remove all the excess. My thought is that since I don't have a perfectly lapped HS, the Artic Silver (or whatever your using) will fill in the voids to some extent. The hope is that there is more resulting surface area when the heatsink is finally applied. The PROPER thing to do would simply to lap the heatsink so it is totally smooth.

I WOULD NOT spread a layer of thermal paste over the 'sink and run it that way. It simply would do nothing other than cause unnecessary mess.

I apply a layer of thermal paste (as thin as possible) to the CPU core then and install. I generally use an old credit card as an aplicator to try to get a really thin and even layer across the core.

I just put a lil ball of it on the middle of the core and then plant the hsf down this way it forces all the air out and puts just the right amount between core and hsf. Mind you I lap all my hsf's with 1500grit sandpaper but its the way it works best for me.

I usually usually apply a dollop on the core, spread it around with a zip lock bag and wipe up any that falls off the core (use isopropyl alcohol)

Back