• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

After overclocking my rig to 5.0-5.1 and even trying 5.2, the temps during cinebench went around 83c, which i know is to hot. I just dont benchmark my computer anymore and i dont have to worry about temps.

My question is that can this intense heat ruin the thermal paste? I am using Artic mx4. The ambient temp is 25 and its idling at 43c. During gaming, i saw it hit 61, which is kinda high even for oc'ed.

Its a 9590, the space heater, i know.

mokrunka

Arctic MX4 generally has good longevity. I wouldn't worry about a thermal paste for CPU applications having breakdown/integrity issues below 100C at all. I don't have a source for this, just my experience. I've used the MX3 stuff too, on old GTX470s that were HOT. haha, I mean my temps would go to nearly 100C, and I never had issues as long as I owned the cards.

Tech Tweaker

I've never really had issues with breakdown/drying out of MX-2 or MX-4 paste on CPU applications, at least not for six months to a year anyway. Though I've never tested it on that hot of a CPU, my 130W LGA1366 Intel chips don't even run that hot when overclocked to the maximum (probably 200+ Watts TDP overclocked) when cooled by a 280mm AIO liquid cooler.

Arctic Cooling MX-2 and MX-4 are notorious for drying out fast on GPU applications though. I've had to replace paste on video cards/graphics cards after just three months before (a result which was repeatable with multiple cards).

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
After overclocking my rig to 5.0-5.1 and even trying 5.2, the temps during cinebench went around 83c, which i know is to hot. I just dont benchmark my computer anymore and i dont have to worry about temps.

My question is that can this intense heat ruin the thermal paste? I am using Artic mx4. The ambient temp is 25 and its idling at 43c. During gaming, i saw it hit 61, which is kinda high even for oc'ed.

Its a 9590, the space heater, i know.

I would be more concerned with running your CPU/board that hot. General recomendation is 62c for the package/cores and 75 max for the socket. I'm surprised it's not throttling on you.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I would be more concerned with running your CPU/board that hot. General recomendation is 62c for the package/cores and 75 max for the socket. I'm surprised it's not throttling on you.
Bet it is and he isn't catching it...God only knows what mobo that's on...

Dpg - please create a signature with your hardware specs please. :)