• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalgrizzly conductonaut LM install on 1080ti: what did I do wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's been a disappointing outcome based on the amount of work-effort. I read somewhere that putting 0.5mm washers underneath the mounting screws can increase mounting pressure and reduce temps, I might still give that a try.

Is liquid metal only worthwhile with liquid cooling setups?

Is liquid metal only worthwhile with liquid cooling setups?
No. For the most part, heat is heat my man. The issue isn't in the coldplate and fins vs coldplate and radiator. :)

I'd also worry more about pump out (increased pressure so the METAL oozes out of the side onto the bare die/PCB of the CPU) of the product with increased pressure. 0.5mm feels like a lot when there's a bare die below it... be careful!

Earthdog,
-3.33°C is the apparent delta-T I'm seeing for conductonaut over phantek's PH-NDC paste TIM for the game that seems to put the most load on the GPU in terms of temps (Dying Light believe it or not).

I think 0.5mm is about the thinnest washer I can buy...

For someone with a 3080ti or 3090 or 6900xt would a liquid metal application be worthwhile considering they can produce much more heat than a 1080ti? Would the couple of degrees C delta-T difference I'm seeing with my 1080ti translate into something more with a high powered GPU?

3.33, eh?! You've got testing and equipment accurate down to a 100th degree C....impressive!

The thermal properties of the paste won't change with load (within operating specs). And the couple degrees difference might be one boost bin if you're lucky.

3.33, eh?! You've got testing and equipment accurate down to a 100th degree C....impressive!

The thermal properties of the paste won't change with load (within operating specs). And the couple degrees difference might be one boost bin if you're lucky.

My thoughts that were the -3°C delta-T difference I'm seeing with a 1080ti over paste TIM's might be a -10°C delta-T difference over paste TIM's with a 3080Ti, 3090 or 6900xt because they run hotter than my 1080Ti.

Back