• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Volcano 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
use the search function. we have discussed this heatsink/fan a couple hundred times. all you questions will be answered

i'm running the volcano 9 with my XP 2000+

temps range from 39-48 depending on air temp

but 41 idle 45 load sounds more like it

i'd say get something better if u can, not the best of heatsinks

Went from a V9 to a slk-800 and used the Tt2 fan from the V9...the V9 performed pretty nice...I thought...then found out how bad it actually performed when I installed the SLK-800...definetly save your money and get a slk-800...they are only around 30.00+, depending on what site...and worth the money...

This was asked in the CPU section, but may be of interest here by looking at some numbers:

Comparing SLK-800 with Volcano 9

Yes, the SLK-800 would help a lot, here is the estimate to show.

When fan at around 5500 rpm,
The thermal resistance for SLK-800 is 0.23 C/W
The thermal resistance for SK7 is 0.25 C/W
The thermal resistance for Volcano 9 is 0.36 C/W
(thermal resistance number from heat sink page of this forum).

If a Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C is oc'ed to 2.5 GHz, 1.9V, active thermal power = 136 W (2.7 time default which is ~50W 1.5V 1.5 GHz!!)

the die temperature difference between the two HS = 136 x (0.36 - 0.23) = 17.7 C !!!!

That is why no doubt for high oc for high power CPU, SK7 (economical) or SLK-800 or SLK-900 is needed w/ a high speed fan also (for pics).

Last edited:
imjust curious from others, but the v9 comes with a smartfan 2, but it will work with a quiter say 32cfm 80mm right? I want to get one to cool a tbred b xp, that wont ever be oced, but i want to take the smartfan 2 and put a cheapie fan on it.

I'm currently using a TT volcano 9. I hate it, and am going to be replacing it soon. The fan is very loud for one thing (even running at fairly low rpms, less than 3000). It includes a "smart function" in which you can attatch a sensor onto the bottom of the CPU and the fan will adjust it's speed accordingly. This works very well. Too well. Every time you go to do ANYTHING, the fan whirrs up, and when you close whatever you were doing, it whirrs back down. It's like a sound level roller coster ride. Of course, this makes perfect sense -- it's doing exactly what it was designed to do -- but believe me, it becomes VERY obnoxious after a week or two of usage. Last but not least, the heatsink really doesn't dissipate heat all that well. Only the base is copper, most of the heatsink is aluminum, and the fins are thick and few instead of thin and many, drastically reducing surface area. I'm running a palamino 1800+. My temps are usually at around 51 C under load, and that's WITHOUT ANY OVERCLOCK. I'm using arctic silver, I have it mounted very well (I've mounted many socket A chips) and the thing is in my basment, so the ambient temp hovers at around 20 C. Oh yea, and I have excellet case cooling -- about 4 fans running at 1000 rpm each, well placed (two in two out). I've tried everything to get this heatsink to work well, and I've finally come to a conclusion: It's a piece of s***.

Ah well, didn't mean for this post to turn into a rant. If you want a thermal take fan, go with the volcano 7+ or 11, or some other all copper solution. It's worth it, believe me.

Last edited:
Is your temp sensor on-die though ThePyro?

I have a V9...its not brilliant, but I think once Ive lapped the base (was very very rough surface), it should perform better.

I load at about 42 at the moment, with poor air circulation.

No, it's the motherboard's built-in sensor, meaning it is most likely quite inaccurate, possibly by as much as 5 C (MAYBE 10, but i think that's pushing it). However, motherboard sensors normally read lower temps rather than higher ones, meaning that if it is inaccurate (and i admit, it probably is) it's hotter than 51 C. And even in the unlikely case that it is giving me a higher temperature, around 45 C for an 1800+ running in the conditions i described is still very poor in my oppinion.

BTW: Start, is your avatar your actual case? If it is, where'd you get it? Very nice looking.

Back