• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thick or slim radiator for LIAN LI PC-Q37WX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Solnir

Hello I am getting a LIAN LI PC-Q37WX for my new rig i will be building in the coming months , I really wanted to make a mini atx build this time and this is a beautiful case so I really want to make this work. I will be using a single 240 rad for a cpu and gpu, probably a 1080 and a new i7. I wanted to oc a little which is why I am considering a thicker rad, specifically a EK-CoolStream XE 240 (Double). Now I have a few questions, I heard that you need higher rpms for thicker radiators how many and how loud would this be? Would it be better to just go slim and install push pull? thank you for your time and have a wonderful day :D

What Rpm should I aim for? Probably going for some EK-Vardars.

Hello I am getting a LIAN LI PC-Q37WX for my new rig i will be building in the coming months , I really wanted to make a mini atx build this time and this is a beautiful case so I really want to make this work. I will be using a single 240 rad for a cpu and gpu, probably a 1080 and a new i7. I wanted to oc a little which is why I am considering a thicker rad, specifically a EK-CoolStream XE 240 (Double). Now I have a few questions, I heard that you need higher rpms for thicker radiators how many and how loud would this be? Would it be better to just go slim and install push pull? thank you for your time and have a wonderful day :D

Thickness of the radiator will have some effect on how easily the air from the fan will be able to pass through but a more significant variable in that regard is fin density. Most radiators have between 8-15 fpi but I have one that is only 29mm thick but with a 30 fpi density. I've got 120x38mm delta fans to push air through and that works well. I turn them down quiet most of the time with a speed controller.

I have doubts whether one 240mm radiator will be enough for cooling both the CPU and the GPU, even a thick one. And if you go thick, is there clearance in that case to mount it?

Thickness of the radiator will have some effect on how easily the air from the fan will be able to pass through but a more significant variable in that regard is fin density. Most radiators have between 8-15 fpi but I have one that is only 29mm thick but with a 30 fpi density. I've got 120x38mm delta fans to push air through and that works well. I turn them down quiet most of the time with a speed controller.

I have doubts whether one 240mm radiator will be enough for cooling both the CPU and the GPU, even a thick one. And if you go thick, is there clearance in that case to mount it?

It's not an ideal setup, but 240 has been done before. It will probably equal a single 120mm AIO worth of cooling on each. So it'll bring GPU temps down for sure, CPU may be still so-so. (This setup has been done on the Ncase M1, but with thin rads, thin 240 + 92mm thick at the rear, or just the 240, most people report the 240 is barely enough but does work)

Back