• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This makes me sick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Leviathan41 said:
and 9 steps to make a peice of toast:
1)get bread
2)put in toaster
3)plug toaster in
4)get toast out
5)integrate
6)butter toast
7)troubleshoot buttering job
8)update butter to margarin
9)enjoy

As if it's really that easy. :roll: Have you ever seen how many different types of bread there are? White? Wheat? Whole wheat? Whole grain wheat? Foccacia? Oat? Honey Oat? What's compatible with this type of peanut butter, can I later add jelly or perhaps even honey if I'm really looking for a high-quality sandwich? Which breads support all of this?

And then just put it in my toaster?? Which toaster? Which way? What's a toaster? For how long? What if I don't have a toaster? Can I use my oven? Microwave? Stove? Dishwasher????

Now butter it? But with what kind? What works the best?

:cry:

Leviathan41 said:
Why are they telling average joe not to build a computer if he has no idea how to build one. This ad makes no sense, anyone who has built their computer knows how much better it is to build than to buy
Scare tactics my good sir. They can't win the battle with us, but for the people on the edge of building their own system and the next generation who are being raised on fear will bow before this ad. I wouldd have to say, it's quite cleaverly done.

I have an AW now...its starting to show its age...

But near the end of my 2yr warantee...my GeForce ti4600 died. After making a few calls (more than it should have required) they did replace it for the value I paid for it brand new. So, I got a new Radeon 9800pro 128mb for my troubles.

I can't say that my experience with Alienware has been perfect, but I can't complain. I didn't sink 6k into a pc, it wasn't even 2k. I've learned a lot about my machine and building because of it.

Unfortunatly, the ad sucks. But you have to remember, there -are- Average Joe's that think they can build a PC. Try working retail electronics (even if you don't sell computers.) I've had plenty of guys with more money (or credit) than brains. Hearing people gloat they have 1gb of SDRAM for their P4 Extreme (I even asked to verify)...it's laughable. These people need to buy Alienware, not build.

Oh, and have you tried to build a system? Look at their spectacular 650watt PSU's description...

"650 Watt Max Power Supply Upgrade

One of the most critical components in a high-performance PC is its power supply unit. High-speed processors, memories, graphics cards, hard drives, and other critical system components all must be supplied with a reliable and efficient source of power in order to maintain maximum performance, stability, and reliability. Designed to handle the most extreme power demands, the PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe is the highest performance ATX power supply available. Producing 650 watts of peak power, the Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe handles brownouts down to 80 VAC, and delivers voltages that are 5 times more stable than other high-wattage units. Translated: this power supply delivers clean, stable power to enable unshakeable stability and unsurpassed reliability."

False advertising? If PCP&C calls its a 510...why can they call it 650?

orginaly I would of coniseder Alienare for a prebuilt computer if I did not feel like building one my self.

They thing holds some facts and most of them are really weak. Reason I would buy a prebuilt is if I dont feel like spending the time putting the computer together installing everything and getting it all up an running (I conisder it all in all about a day job to get a computer up and running from scratch). But anyone who has built a computer knows how long it takes and understnad it.

For the people who have never built one and are thinkinga bout it that adverisment makes them think other wise. Problem is since they used that pretty low ball adversiment I will no longer consider alienware for a prebuilt computer and no longer recomend them because of how big of an insult it is to people who have built there own computer

Radical said:
http://www.alienware.com/build_vs_buy_pages/retail.aspx

Everyone who has been saying that you save money by building your own system is wrong simply because it's not possible to buy OEM parts! And retail parts cost a literal FORTUNE! For example: an OEM 3.0E P4 at NewEgg is $180 (not that you can actually buy an OEM CPU), while a retail 3.0E P4 is an obnoxiously inflated $188!! WHO HAS THE MONEY TO SPEND AN EXTRA $8 ON THE RETAIL VERSION OF A CPU? Not me, especially when the retail version comes with a heatsink and fan, and a longer warranty.

Sure, Alienware gets parts cheaper then a consumer can, but are those savings passed on to the buyer? The answer is an obvious YES!
ROFL!! again :clap:

gravitywell - they are probably advertising the max wattage for that PSU. PSU companies tend not to do this as it's false advertising most of the time: how often do things run at the optimal conditions? This is why crappy PSU companies have way high advertised wattage, they do the same thing.

I find it ironic that in the pic on the 'cost comparison' thing they show the price of build-it-yourself at <$1200. How many alienwares are that price or less? :p

Well, im pretty new to this stuff and have screewed many a computer parts and "jiffy riged" many to so in a scence it is easy if you RTFM and do a fair amount of reearch its not to bad but the ad is not to bad to me its the responce they gave to the questioning that is appaling, I mean they talk about getting a good case and you dont need to research but if im gonna spend 6k on a computer im gonna do a hella load of reasearch on every part to make shure it i good etc, now I can go build alienwares 6k comp for probably 3k and probably end up doing less research, because well yes 3k is alot of cash but its not as much as 6k so research as instinct your not gonna research as much. Now upgradeability, isint building you own the ultimate upgradeability? IMHO you can say I want a comp for this this and this but it must be this this and this, So I can put together an computer that fits my needs down to the dime, an alienware you are severley restricted on the type, brand, etc of components you can buy there, and you can open up the AW case ad add new parts but what happens when Joe Six Pack wants to upgrade his CPU, RAM, and Harddrive? Well if Joe dose not need to do the reasearch step whats he going to know what he can and cant upgrade with. He dosnent know what socket the cpu is or if the mobo is DDR2 or 1 and if the hard drive is SATA or EIDE. Me with my custom computer I know what everything on my computer is down to the speed of my fans so I can go on newegg and enter what I need and im done, Joe here will be calling Alienautopsy asking what he can do etc. So I don't understand how alieware can say some of the stuff they do... Well I am rambling now and im probably not making any scence so Ill stop here...

Keiron,
It really sucks that happened to you, but you are probably in a very small population...and do you want me to run through the list of hardware that's died on me?...point is #@$ happens, less than alienware when you know what your doing, but if you know what your doing you shouldn't buying from em. But if you don't know what your doing your more likely to mess something up somewhere.

tom10167
Damn right they're cashing in on stupidity, is that dishonest? Nope, not in my book, if someone is too lazy or ignorant to learn stuff then...well the people who learned are getting "paid" then.
Refer back to my example about the breakpads, you yourself might be getting "screwed" on minor, easy car repairs.

Leviathan41, Keiron answered that one

Why are you people so against a company advertising like this? I could name countless adds on TV about drugs which are 10x more deceptive than this...

Mr. Barnum said it best.

Look guys i don't think people who buy alienwares care about the parts. most are noobs and i even considered it before i said way too much and built my own. What noobs and everything look at is the website wich put them at the top of the pyrmid in computers and at that shiny case oohhhh. Main point is if you are smart in computers you have no need to get a alienware. if you are dumb and think some cases are prettier then other go ahead waste 2k or 3 k for that shiny case and buy your alienware.

Yes, I prettymuch agree with everyone who has already posted. That ad is truly very skewed and biased.

This was the first computer I've built and yes, it did take a lot of research and time, but thats WHY YOU DO IT!!! TO LEARN!!! I barely knew how to install RAM before I joined these forums and now you guys have showed me the light and will NEVER go back, ESPECIALLY for an Alienware.

May sound cheezy, but to me, building my computer wasn't so much about the final result, it was about gaining knowledge about a technology that is a HUGE part of everyone's everyday life that most people don't know jack about and being able to reproduce the results because the knowledge you've acquired from building your own rig is really priceless....

Building your own system means you will have to rely on public forums for answers to questions or problems you may have. Participants from other forums are not likely to have your interests at heart, and may not be as knowledgeable. Can you trust them?
Can i trust you guys?

Its all scare tactics.

Agent_Mull said:
Can i trust you guys?

Radical said:
http://www.alienware.com/build_vs_buy_pages/retail.aspx

Everyone who has been saying that you save money by building your own system is wrong simply because it's not possible to buy OEM parts! And retail parts cost a literal FORTUNE! For example: an OEM 3.0E P4 at NewEgg is $180 (not that you can actually buy an OEM CPU), while a retail 3.0E P4 is an obnoxiously inflated $188!! WHO HAS THE MONEY TO SPEND AN EXTRA $8 ON THE RETAIL VERSION OF A CPU? Not me, especially when the retail version comes with a heatsink and fan, and a longer warranty.

Sure, Alienware gets parts cheaper then a consumer can, but are those savings passed on to the buyer? The answer is an obvious YES!

Can you?

Well I would like to say that the ad is from your perspective, the best thing about Alienware is it is decent to great quality parts and they look alot nicer than a dell. Otherwise most of what is being said is marketing BS that blows this out of porportion.

That chart shows you from your perspective. All I have to do at alienware.com is look around and either find a reccomened machine or read a nice guide that in simple terms tells me that two 6800u in SLI and an FX-55 with 2gigs of ram and Raptors is the fastest gaming system I can buy then pull out my credit card gulp and 2 weeks later have a new perfect computer show up at my doorstep. Then I merely plug it in and if anything is wrong Alienware is going to fix it for me for the mere price of a few days of no computer. It makes sense if you aren't mechanically inclined or you can resist the urge to mod into something even better

speed bump said:
Well I would like to say that the ad is from your perspective, the best thing about Alienware is it is decent to great quality parts and they look alot nicer than a dell. Otherwise most of what is being said is marketing BS that blows this out of porportion.

That chart shows you from your perspective. All I have to do at alienware.com is look around and either find a reccomened machine or read a nice guide that in simple terms tells me that two 6800u in SLI and an FX-55 with 2gigs of ram and Raptors is the fastest gaming system I can buy then pull out my credit card gulp and 2 weeks later have a new perfect computer show up at my doorstep. Then I merely plug it in and if anything is wrong Alienware is going to fix it for me for the mere price of a few days of no computer. It makes sense if you aren't mechanically inclined or you can resist the urge to mod into something even better
Yeah, true, but they still didn't have to distort the process of building your own system like that. It actually steers people away from building their own systems and learning all about the technology (which I guess is the purpose of the ad... :( ) :rolleyes:

It has some truth in it. It hurts people who are mostly sitting on fench thinking about building their first computer. I know when I built my first computer this summer I was really scared and worried aobut it. Advertiments might of made me think twice about it.
I had a friend who was scared to have a computer built for her by me and antoehr friend because of stuff like that. we convented her other wise.

Now that I built my first I relezed how easy it really is and use those argument that ways. I think it taken me about 5-6 hours on both of them I built to get everything fully up and running (an hour on the build then 5+hours installing everything).

I just hate how they twist the truth so far making it look like building you own is a huge risk and cost

i remember when the "alien" was a key item in marketing of the late 90's and early 2000's, but now aliens are gay and not a good marketing tool.....now you need x-TREME!! computers, something with skateboards and bmxbikes and HALF PIPESA!!!!A

The day Alienware build my PC is the day my arms are amputated.

Yep, just sent a little e-mail to Alienware letting them know about the "mistake" (as in GROSS distortion) of what building your own PC is all about and how it compares to "buying";)

Back