• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thunderbird or Palomino

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snowus

Hello all, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me exactly what kind of cpu this,I ran a SiSondra test and here is what it said..........Model Info---(AthlonM4(ThunderBird)650-1.4G 1.7-1.8v.Then under performance rating it said 1599estimated(wtf is this).I thought this was a TBird but now I am not so sure.Anyway is this a chip that can be easlily overclocked ? Its a 1200ghz with a fsb100 and 12 multiplier.I am new to this and am just trying to learn as I go any ideas thoughs or local knowledge would be appreciated..Thanks.JS

First Welcome to the Forums. Second that is a T-Bird and yes it is easlily overclocked. First what kinda cooling are you using and what kinda motherboard do you have, ram, and is it unlocked and so forth. I know if it is anything like my late 1.1 T-Bird you'll love it.

Thanks for info

I dont know if it is unlocked or not and dont know how to tell, I did just order a epox 8kha+ MB, i am using a stock fan any suggestions for cooling and my power supply is only 250 probably need to upgrade that to.Thanks again any other ideas would be great....JS

keep reading man. all your answers are just a few searches away. you have a lot of options. try the oc.com tips and reviews. and do a search for the athlon pencil trick on google, or some other search engine. just keep digging.

Look at the L1 Bridge if the gold dots are connected then it's unlocked. If not you can take a pencil and unlock it. Also I would get a better PSU if at all possible get the biggest you can afford like a 500 watter that way you don't have to upgrade later when you add more stuff. Myself I like things made by Swiftech with air I was using a MC462 with a 80mm 80CFM Delta and now with a pelt and water I'm using a MCW462-UHT. Alot of people in here like the SLK-800 with a 80mm 80cfm Delta.

I think all the thunderbirds were unlocked (my 1.33ghz was)... it was one of the "perks" for buying them over the durons and older thunderbirds...

snowus said:
Hello all, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me exactly what kind of cpu this,I ran a SiSondra test and here is what it said..........Model Info---(AthlonM4(ThunderBird)650-1.4G 1.7-1.8v.Then under performance rating it said 1599estimated(wtf is this).I thought this was a TBird but now I am not so sure.Anyway is this a chip that can be easlily overclocked ? Its a 1200ghz with a fsb100 and 12 multiplier.I am new to this and am just trying to learn as I go any ideas thoughs or local knowledge would be appreciated..Thanks.JS

You have a thunderbird, and an old one at that.

Read the stickys above for info on how to unlock your processor and for information about "steppings".

BTW, what motherboard do you have?

Re: Re: Thunderbird or Palomino

EyelessFace said:

You have a thunderbird, and an old one at that.

Read the stickys above for info on how to unlock your processor and for information about "steppings".

BTW, what motherboard do you have?

He said it was a 1200 (12x100) in a later reply... so it's not that old ;)

Yes your right its only 2yrs old or there abouts, I just checked and from what I can read on MB I think its a FIC AZ-11E or 11EA hard to tell from info on the board or from the FIC sight but from what I have read I dont think I can do much with this board of course I could be wrong.Just wanted to add you guys are pretty cool to give out the info. to someone thats really new to this.Thanks Very Much..Regards..JS

Beware of heat, overclocked thunderbirds generate a lot of heat... good case ventilation and good heatsink/fan are necessary to run overclocked speeds and 1.85v

Yea like said you will need some cooling, the swiftech mentioned by Klownin79 is an excellent heatsink-fan(hsf). However it is a bit pricey. I myself use an thermalright sk6, I had it on a 1,4 tbird and my 2200+, it goes a fairly good job, and is alot less money, depending on how far you want to oc you can make your decision, but if you check in Cyber deals section theres a great deal on an sk6. I would have bought the mcx462 if I wasnt buying my case, psu, hsf, and chipset cooling all at once.

Like also said you will need good airflow in your case, good places for them are in the front drawing air in, on the side panel drawing air in, and on the rear at the back underneath the psu taking air out, and another good place for one drawing air out is at the top between psu and top cdrom, cause hot air rises.

Pinky said:
http://www.plastech.ru/html/catalog/motherboards/az11e.html

I think you're right, doesn't mention softmenu or any adjustability... but on the 1,000-1,400 thunderbirds you can pencil the L7s together for 1.85v default and adjust the bios fsb settings (or even set the 133mhz jumper).

It doesn't appear to support 133mhz, but I find that really hard to believe... maybe I'm missing something...

He is probably using a KT133 board, not a KT133A board.

If im not mistaken, KT 133 boards could run at 133 MHz FSB; but they never really did.

Try this setting (if possible): 9 (multiplier) x 133 (FSB) that should put you at 1.2 GHz again, but with a 133 MHz FSB instead a 100 MHz FSB without too much difference in tempatures. Enjoy!

EyelessFace said:

He is probably using a KT133 board, not a KT133A board.

If im not mistaken, KT 133 boards could run at 133 MHz FSB; but they never really did.

Try this setting (if possible): 9 (multiplier) x 133 (FSB) that should put you at 1.2 GHz again, but with a 133 MHz FSB instead a 100 MHz FSB without too much difference in tempatures. Enjoy!

That's true... and that's a pretty good idea :)

Damn I have only been on a computer for 2months and already trying to speed it up fix it up etc .This is like trying to upgrade your car without all the grease.The chip set is a KT/133/KM133 thats what SiSondra reports.All this info. you guys are giving me just tells me how little I know, but I have been reading everything I can for the last 2months trying to get up to a capable working level .Thanks to all who have posted a idea suggestion or comment its invauable info.I guess everyone has to start somewhere thanks for allowing me to be in this forum!!Regards.JS:D :D

Back