• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scant7

The PSU I currently have I bought at a local store called Aroma Computers, www.aromacomputers.com I don't think they have it on their website right now, but it was $60 for a 400watt PSU, I think they modded it there or something, they put a fan on the other side, so it kind of is blowing towards my cd-rw.. and of course another fan where u connect the power too. I don't know what kind of PSU this is, it didn't come in a box or anything, they just gave it to me in a plastic bag, lol. I don't know whether it is quality or not.

A while back, and it still sometimes does this, the fan on the PSU will like slow down a bit, then speed back up. It will be running, and then like every 10 secs u can hear it slow down, or skip, and then it goes back to normal.

My question is, is will this PSU get me through for a while, or should I get an Antec True Power or something. I don't know if I have anything that really takes a lot of power now, I plan on getting either a GF FX or Radeon 9700 Pro, depending on how much money I can afford to throw away, a Turtle Beach Sound card, 80GB HD.... most of the stuff is in my sig..

What do you guys think?

Go for the biggest PSU you can afford at the time. And get a trusted brand name , no little stuff. PSU's are a key to running a good computer as you need food , a pc needs power.

Non brand name and lower companys usually lie about how much power there PSU can support and output.So go for the brand name , alil more exp but worth the money int he long run.

2 300 watt psu's dont mean the work the same..

Esp if you plan on running some high end hardware like a 9700 , fast hd lot of cd' drives ect..

You can attempt to change the fan in the PSU as that seems to be the only problem, however, this will void your warranty.

You basically buy a new 80mm fan, strip the wires and then snip the fan inside the psu and connect the wires.

Yodums

lol, I don't even think my PSU has a warranty, there is no brand on it, and Aroma Computers probably wouldn't ever let me take it back.

One more thing, I have a APC Back-Up 400, that I have had for about 4-5 years almost, and on the front it has the on/off switch, and a 'test' button. On the on/off switch there is a green light telling you it is on. Lately the green light has been blinking like 3 times / second! Is this my PSU or my APC?

I found that I can hear the fan change pitch even if the +12V varies by even 2%, so I wouldn't worry unless voltages are unstable.

Back