• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tribes 2 better then Prime95! Seriously!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
not sure how to add and ip but if you play allot of games that are multyplayer you should get this http://www.udpsoft.com/eye/ its a game server browser.

Counter-Strike Server 24.201.164.100:27015
Natural Selection Server 24.201.164.100:27020
Tribes 2 Server 24.201.164.100:28000

if you want to play =p and or test.

tell me how it goes if you have any suggestions please post them here or on my forum ( http://forum.fragtheworld.net:81/ )

i did not think Tribes 2 did test your system as much as programs made specifically for testing reasons.

Since the CPU burn in's test just that, your CPU - i guess triobes does more of an over all work out.

strange!

hey btw, you know Tribes 2 is from a game called Starsiege, a mech game which was always much better than mechwarrior ;)

Quick history for anyone who cares; there are a few games in the starsiege universe:

Earthsiege (mech game), Earthsiege 2 (mechgame), Starsiege (mech game), Starsiege: Tribes (FPS),Starsiege: Tribes 2 (FPS)

and soon to be Starsiege: Tribes 3

Just a thought here.......

Tribes 2, also works your Graphics card. making it put out more heat, so......wouldn't that help count for the 3c. temp raise?

also, since its an OC, the FSB would affect the PCI or AGP slots. So then, it would kinda test those slots too. and if the voltage isn't high enough, or to high of a fsb, the problem could lie in the PCI or AGP slots, istead of the processor, or mobo itself.

But in a way, it works your ENTIRE system well. Works your Graphics card very good, has to use the agp or pci's to run in the first place, and puts lots of stress on your processor.

but its a good way of also checking out your MAX temps. when both your processor, and graphics card, and memory are running pretty much at full throtle. so in a way.....since it would test so many things.......it may be better than prime 95, since prime i don't think works your Graphics card......

But i think that maybe the temp rise, is from the Graphics card, and maybe not as much as pushing your CPU harder than prime 95.

Just a few thoughts there.

I believe Tribes 2 is going to be more of an all around stability test. It would test processor, gfx card, and memory mainly. So it wouldn't be as specific as Prime, but it would be a more realistic scenario.

-Dae-

I haven't looked for the server yet, but you can change what main server you are looking on, sorta like battlnet has West/east etc.

T2 heats up my CPU about 6 more degrees than sandra, gets it up to about 49 (highest it ever gets). Obviously it stresses CPU and 3D Card, it also works your memory too! If I set my Ram clock too aggressive T2 closes to desktop or I get an unhandeled exception error usually within the first 10 seconds (after the map has loaded).

But yeah great idea on the server to test the computers

And as for newer games being more demanding, I have yet to find a more stressing one. on than T2

Although if you want a way to lock up your PC play Postal 2(or download the Demo) get the gas can and dump it all over the ground for a good minute or two, then light a match toss it in and watch the CPU chugging begin. I'm pretty sure this is just bad game programming, while everything in the game seems to take exorbitantly long amounts of time to load. But when that game tried to render all those flames its the only game thus far thats managed to chug my p4 3.06 w/2x512MB PC3700 Geil Ram, and a new Radeon 9800. I dont' mean little chugs either, I mean less than 3fps. Sorta like constant lag spikes when playing online.

AWSOME.....I know this has been awhile sine this post started but is the T2 server still up!....that would be the mac dady of all stress etsters...I cannot stand running prime...YUK! boooooooooooooooooring!:D

Fever said:
Wouldn't a more recent game work better? Something.. just a bit more demanding than Tribes 2? :p *points at U2 and UT2K3*

the version of the torque engine and how they used it in T2 makes it one of the most, if not the most demanding game. even with my 2100 @ 2406, my ti4600 and 512 pc2700 @ 192 I got <100 fps. unless of course I looked at a wall and nothing else, but I dont know any game that will give you bad fps if you stare at a wall :p

chasingapple said:
I picked this game up at Fry's for $9.99

o_O, i have always wanted to play this game but didnt want to pay $40 when it first came out . . i hope i can find one for $10.

Hmm, I use NWN in much the same way. Prime95 would run fine for a while, but when I pushed my system with NWN it would crash pretty fast if I didn't clock back a little. And that's the point, isn't it? Stable gaming?

durrem

zexmarquies01 said:
Just a thought here.......

Tribes 2, also works your Graphics card. making it put out more heat, so......wouldn't that help count for the 3c. temp raise?

also, since its an OC, the FSB would affect the PCI or AGP slots. So then, it would kinda test those slots too. and if the voltage isn't high enough, or to high of a fsb, the problem could lie in the PCI or AGP slots, istead of the processor, or mobo itself.

But in a way, it works your ENTIRE system well. Works your Graphics card very good, has to use the agp or pci's to run in the first place, and puts lots of stress on your processor.

but its a good way of also checking out your MAX temps. when both your processor, and graphics card, and memory are running pretty much at full throtle. so in a way.....since it would test so many things.......it may be better than prime 95, since prime i don't think works your Graphics card......

But i think that maybe the temp rise, is from the Graphics card, and maybe not as much as pushing your CPU harder than prime 95.

Just a few thoughts there.

i was gonna post the same thing here. anyways, u r CORRECT. I recently have a TI4400 oced to 330/720 and my temps are about atleast 5c higher when under load than when i had my mx420. its all related to the fact that the video card puts out heat in Tribes 2, which it doesnt when running prime95. also if u can run Prime95 stable with an overclock, u just need more decent cooling to keep that overclock stable in a videogame to compensate for the video card's heat.

Back