• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to build from scrap parts; need thoughts on mobo and video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ne0ta0

Both of my HP desktops died of lousy mobos this year, leaving me with a bunch of 2-yr-old but decent parts. The way the mobos died make it impossible for me to know how many, if any, of these parts are still good. I know for certain that one of the HDDs died as well. Here are the parts I am trying to salvage:

-1 x Chenbro xpsider atx case
-4 x 1gb DDR2 PC2-5300 SDRAM
-2 x 512mb DDR2 PC2-5300 SDRAM
-2 x SuperMulti DVD burner with Lightscribe SATA TS-H653 (hopefully one is still good - I might eventually connect both if they're both good)
-1 x Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz 65nm 775 socket 1066 FSB
-1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320Gb SATA HDD
-2 x media card readers (hopefully one is still good, again I plan to only connect one)
-3 x internal front case USB 2.0/1 ports (again I plan to only connect one)

For now I'm assuming that they work, but plan to upgrade pretty much everything as I can afford it, so the challenge for me right now is how to buy new parts that will work with what I have but also will be good for (ideally) another five years.

Here's what I need to buy:

-wireless adapter card
-Win7 Professional 64bit
-power supply (I have a 400w that came with the case but I don't trust it)
-motherboard
-video card
-SSD
-cooling equipment

What I'm trying to create isn't a supreme gaming machine. I'm trying to create a computer capable of taking advantage of the Quad. I'm a freelance print and web designer/developer. This will mostly be used for work with some gaming. I need to make high resolution images (not uncommon to reach 1gb files), the occasional 3D work, and some animation. The games I play aren't horribly demanding: UT3, WoW, GTA3, Guitar Hero 3, NHL09, and the like. The comp will be dual booting with Win7 and Ubuntu.

I think I can find my way around buying the wireless, Win7, power, and SSD without troubles (although recommendations are always welcome). The video card and motherboard are bothering me.

The video card is bothering me because it's been years since I last built a computer. Back then my dream card was the nVidia 7800 GTX. Frankly that would still meet all of my gaming needs, but it's old enough now that It's difficult to find and newer cards are selling for cheaper than used 7800s. Can anyone point out the modern equivalent of the 7800GTX? Can the EVGA GeForce 9500 GT, for example, accomplish everything that the 7800GTX could?

My only request is that the video card is SLI compliant and under $150. I'll save the DX11's for later. It's really not the most important component at this point.

The mobo is the most important component at this point.

Since I don't know if my scraps are functional or not I'd like a mobo that could run both my scraps and burgeoning technology and last me a good, long time. Is this possible? Please someone tell me that they know of a mobo that fulfills the following:

- raid capable (unless you can't RAID a SSD with a HDD)
- SATA III
- include some USB3 functionality
- integrated Ethernet port
- if my Quad doesn't work I'll get a mid-quality replacement, perhaps Intel's Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300 2.5GHz
- at least 6 mem slots for my 5gb. Here's a tough part: if less than 4gb of my DDR2 works I'd prefer to switch to DDR3. I know there is such a thing as mobo that can support both, but I can't find any with the above specs included :(
- I don't need any 5.1+ digital sound wizardry. I either use a basic 2.0 setup, headphones, or output to my A/V receiver. Audio out and microphone is all I need.

Finally, my previous build did not require much more than basic HSF. If any of you feel that my new setup will require more cooling, please advise.

In the end I'm hoping I'll have a build with the operating systems, important programs, and working files loaded onto a 128gb SATA III SSD, unimportant programs and lo-res working files loaded onto the internal 320gb SATA mechanical HDD, and saved work files and entertainment on external HDDs.

I'll have a better understanding of my power needs and wifi options after I have the mobo and GPU figured out.

Am I expecting too much out of the mobo? Any suggestions for mobos if I remove the DDR2 requirement?

Thank you so much in advance! It's been too long since I've kept up to date on building and three days of research has my head is swimming from all the new numbers!

First place to start IMO is getting off socket 775, which your suggested alternate CPU wouldn't do either.

If you are going to rebuild, I'd suggest building on platform that is current and not already a generation or two old.

Noted. Are you saying that because mobos that are compatible with 775s are not also compatible with i5s or i7s? Or are you saying that simply because my Q6600 is old?

Time and money are factors with this so for now I don't mind sticking granny into a Ferrari as long as I can swap her out later. I hope to upgrade the CPU, RAM, a couple GPUs (I just need a temporary one for now), add more SSDs to the RAID... basically every component except the motherboard and SSD with this build as funds allow. Right now I can only take a couple of baby steps to get started.

A new $500 i7 CPU is a bit more than a baby step so I'd like to avoid that one if I can. But if that determines the mobo, I'd be open to suggestions if you can offer more details.

I think I.M.O.G means is that the 775 socket is already EOL (End Of Life) and you wouldn't have an upgrade path in the future.
I'd say out of the parts you're trying to salvage the only items that would not work on a newer chipset would be the RAM.
I don't know what your budget is, but you can get the i7 950 for $300 and add a motherboard and new ram for another $200.
Or if you're on a budget; you could always go AMD and save some money that way. The system on my sig cost me just $380 for the CPU, MoBo, RAM and PSU and I successfully unlocked the 2 extra cores on the CPU which means I got a cuad-core for just under $90.

I think I.M.O.G means is that the 775 socket is already EOL (End Of Life) and you wouldn't have an upgrade path in the future.

I'm guessing I've been out of the game for a little too long 'cuz I suspect that I am overlooking some fundamental tidbit of knowledge. If I'm reading this correctly, there is no mobo that can run both my Q6600 and, say, the i7 950 you mentioned?

If I'm reading that incorrectly, what is it about a 775 that makes you say it doesn't have a future upgrade path?

Yup, like Seba said... The former - because mobos compatible with 775 are not also compatible with the latest processor lines and chipsets. If you look at our buyers guides, sticking with s775 would mean you can't go to any of those motherboard choices because your processor wouldn't fit:
http://www.overclockers.com/amd-intel-buyers-guide-102010/

At this point, if buying a new motherboard, video card, and SSD... I'd consider it a good idea to move to an updated platform. If you go with the CPU, memory, and motherboard from the $850 system, that means for $433 you could get onto the P55 chipset ($129) with USB3, Sata6GB, DDR3 (4GB -$95), and an i5 760 (quad - $209). You could get a R6850 or a GTX460 for around $200, then whatever SSD of your choice (also about $200 probably). So it makes sense if you are spending $400 on video card and SSD, also give the heart of your system an update and you'll get more bang, for a bit more bucks.

Otherwise, if you are looking to stick with as much as the old stuff as possible, I'd suggest buying on the secondary market so you aren't paying "new item" prices for hardware thats getting a bit dated.

EDIT: To clarify, you can't put an I series processor in a LGA775 socket - you'd be looking at 1156/1366 sockets in order to support newish lines of intel processors. ;)

Last edited:
Le sigh. I was trying to avoid an overhaul but if my scrap is crap, then so be it. Rizo-uk, do you need any more DDR2 or another Q6600? ;)

This better:?

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz 1366 Quad-Core -- $289.99
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel -- $209.99
RAM: ???
SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 128GB SATA III --$273
HDD: my old 320gb 7200rpm Seagate
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 -- $69.99
HSF: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler -- $38
OS1: Win7 Home Premium 64bit upgrade -- $119.99
OS2: Ubuntu

Am I getting closer? Thoughts on RAM (8gb - 4 x 2gb sounds ideal) and HSF? GPU (again, this is primarily a work computer, which doesn't need much of any 3D accel. Games require approx. a modern version of GeForce 7800+ GTX... cheaper is better here. I'll upgrade later).

Thanks again guys! The time constraints here really have me in over my head.

Also, now that I'm broke, does anybody need a website started or maintained? CMS created or implemented? A logo or packaging created? Product photography? I have fun with those things :)

The G.SKILL looks good. I was wondering about that brand. I had never heard of them until now.

Seba, how do you like your Corsair RAM? I ask because this caught my eye. Newegg is currently out of stock.

I'm noticing that my GPU question is going unanswered from the beginning. I imagine that any current GPU would play my games at moderate settings (my last card was a GeForce 5200 and every game was playable except UT3 -- albeit many at the lowest possible settings and Guitar Hero 3 with plenty of riff-destroying lags), but I'd hate to assume that and waste money on something that can't handle UT3 or DOOM3.

Perhaps I'm asking the wrong questions. Is there a site that is dedicated to GPU reviews? If judging today's GPUs by 2007 models is comparing apples to oranges, what should I look for in a GPU?

Many reviews mention quips such as, "can play Bioshock with no problems," and that is the type of answer I'm looking for - only I don't play newer games like Bioshock, Crysis, L4D, GoF, etc. so I have no clue if modern GPUs are going to be excessive overkill or not at all compatible with my gameset.

Side question: does drilling holes into the casing help or hurt heat dissipation? Specifically, I'm thinking about holes in the top directly above the power supply so that the heat it generates can also escape directly upwards rather than get blown out of the side.

Another side question, just for metaphysical fun: I name my computers. The case I'm using used to be part of a build that I named Romeo. What's the naming convention now that I've rebuilt it? Should it remain Romeo or do new builds dictate new names?

Newegg decided to answer the GPU question for me. I'm a sucker for a deal.

Currently they're offering a few incentives with the power supply (which, for mail-in rebate purposes, I decided to purchase today). Long story, short:

I picked up the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W and GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 1GB together for $259.84 out the door (with promo code "psuoct"). $40 worth mail-ins to deal with later.

I suspect the 460 should be enough for me.

It essentially makes the power supply free, so if you know of anyone else on the site needing both items (or just the GPU and an extra PSU for sale), let them know! The mail-in for the PSU expires tomorrow. I didn't notice a date on the buy-PSU-and-get-discount-on-other-stuff option (nor did I expect that -- it didn't show up until I went to checkout).

Good deal, you should be pretty happy with that choice, and thats a pretty good deal especially if the rebate works out. We have a corsair rep here, and you may need to get in touch with him or give corsair a call if the rebate never shows - just keep hold of your paperwork, they'll take care of it if there's a problem.

Back