• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two pin fan connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elmo

I've got a case fan in my Pentium 100 that I want to use in my Athlon computer because it's really quiet. However, the connector for the fan has TWO PINS. Is there any way I could power it up in my Athlon's case?

Thanks for the quick reply drdingo21. I know a little bit about what youre talking about but not exactly. Can you please go into more detail? For example how do I connect two wire ends to the four thick molex pins?

Solder it!

However, if you don't have a soldering iron, or any spare drive connector type sockets to wire it to, you could try . . . . . .

a) Just strip the ends, twist them round tight and force them into a spare 3.5 drive connector. Many cases have 2 of these and most people only ever use one.

b) withdraw the pins from a drive plug, and crimp it into the wire there. On a 5.25 drive plug, the pins have splayed out little metal catches that hold them in the shell, by pressing these in from the end with a small screwdriver you can pull the pin out, then you can prise open the crimp, put your wire in and crimp it shut with pliers. Then you can resplay the catches and insert it back in the shell.
on 3.5 drive plugs the catches are on the back of the plug, you can push them in there and pull the pin out, splay the crimp, add your wire, recrimp, repsplay the latch, reinsert.

Road Warrior

edit:
Oh if the 2 pin connector is still on there the easy way to connect it to the 3.5inch drive connectors is to make a couple of pins. Just find some solid wire thick enough to hold in the sockets on the connector, use 2 pices about 3/4 inch long and push them into one connector, then plug the other connector into it.

You could also plug it into your fan header just using two of the three pins on the mobo. Just make sure you plug it into the right ones by looking at another fan's plug, and match the black and red's positions, so it'll work. (no danger if you get it wrong the first time)

It's an old and slow/quiet fan from an older computer, so it's power draw is going to be well within spec to run it on the regular fan header.

Back