• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ugh raid arrays being weird after forced shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

Alright guys. heres my setup. i have 2 250gb seagate 7200.10's in a matrix array on my main rig.

a 80gb raid 0 at the beginning, and a 192gb raid 1.

I sit down at my comp after doing some laundry (was working just fine before).

I was doing a coupla things then, a loud screech out of the speakers, but functions seemed to continue to be just fine (i was on a remote desktop to my sevrer) so i closed the RDP window, and go back to my actual desktop and i could tell something was up... i figured more than likely it was a creative XFI driver mess up so a simple restart would fix the issue... tried to click restart, explorer crashes.... restarts explorer, and try and restart again.... this time it doesnt even try and shut down anything just goes back to the desktop.

so im like f it, hold down the power button and shut it down.

Upon restart in the post Matrix Storage Manager, it says my raid 1 is degraded, and raid 0 is fine... so i say, eh w/e its happened many times before when the raid 1 freaks out cus of an improper shutdown no biggy.... then it goes to start windows, then runs a CHKDSK, and i was about to skip it thinking it was for the raid 1 D:\ drive.. but i realized it was gonna run it on C:\ the raid 0.... so it goes on and fixes TONS of stuff... so at this point im like ohhh man.

it restarts after chkdsk, and still says raid 0 is normal and fine, raid 1 is degraded... i get into windows just fine (OS and apps are on the Raid 0)... and figuring like many times before that the raid 1 would be checking itself which makes the comp almost unusable cus of so much disk activity, i opened up the rapid storge technology utility... to find out that the raid 1 wasnt rebuilding itself... and the raid 0 has failed because one of my disks failed.... i go to myself... HOW THE HELL, can i be in the OS on the Raid 0 that is apparently failed.

anyways screen shot of the rapid storage technology window below... currently backing up everything (i needed to anyways, just got a 128gb ssd:)) and before i go to work ill run pc check on both hdds.... i really hope i dont come back to ANOTHER set of failed seagates.... this would be the second time, and last straw.

edit - and its not the sata cable... i tried a different one on the effected drive and it still showed the same errors *cry*

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 86
Smart errors on any of the drives?

Can you dump an image off to backup and then reload/rebuild ALL the arrays?

im running a full scan of the drives right now.... started it at one when i left for work so we will see what it reports when i get home.

I DID click the "reset disks to normal" in the above screen shot, and it made everything look fine now... tbh i think it was just a bigger forced shutdown fluke than im used too. anyways we will see how everything checks out when i get home.... i just got a lil scared cus i had a coupla yrs ago a similar thing happen and it ended up being my hdds went bad.

Dont feel bad.

My orginal fileserver was a Raid 5 array (5+1 320gb) and a Raid 1 (2x 1.5tb) on a perc 5i..

I took it offline and offloaded the Raid 5 array to a couple of drives (I THINK)...

Set it back up last night and half the drives were foreign and/or not seen... Had no ability to import all the drives and rebuild the array... The Raid 1 array is online and looks fine so hopefully I did offload the other array.

I have tested each of the 320's and all passed every test I can think of. I am pretty sure that they are just experiencing the drop out issues that can happen. Guess I will just have to upgrade them all to 1-2tb drives then!

it was just real wierd. i woulda never made this thread.... but when i held the power button down to force shutdown, the powerbutton is set to put the comp to s3 sleep... so it went to sleep and then hard powered completely off... upon restart after chkdsk all my firefox history was gone, and my itunes had forgotten all its setting and where the library was located.... although looking back on it i wanna say cus i had iTunes and firefox open... so it probably messed with them when it went to sleep then lost its data.

either way, everything is fine now. i did back everything up but im reinstallin win 7 sp1 when it comes out in a coupla days so on my new 128gb Adata ssd :)

Back