• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Un-published refresh rate on AIW 9800! 1400 X 1050

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoreGooder

I have an AIW 9800 Pro, (water cooled baby!) and older model 19" CRT, Hitachi SuperSCan Elite 751. Anyway, I was playing around with the program called PowerStrip and discovered that you can create custom resolutions. One of them was 1400 X 1050 pixels.

I also discovered that 1280 X 1024 is not a natural looking resolution. Draw a circle in Photoshop or Paint or whatever, then actually put something circular on your screen and you'll see what I'm talking about. 1280 X 960 is more natural, and if you do a calculation that is 1280/960 = 1.33333 in ratio. 1600 X 1200 is also 1.3333, but my old monitor will not do anything better than 72 Hz refresh on that mode. (ick!)

And....... 1400 X 1050 is ALSO a 1.333 ratio, and for my monitor it refreshes at 85 Hz! So you get a more naturally proportioned image, at a decent refresh rate and an outstanding resolution.

So, if you have a 9800 series and want another resolution to try between the usual 1280 X 960/1024 and 1600 X 1200 see if you can use 1400 X 1050! I've been using this setup for months now with no problems whatsoever. Even the TV mode of the AIW works with it.

I can't say if this will work with previous version of ATI cards or with your monitor, but no harm in trying them out! Just be careful not to push your monitor out of its specs for pixel rate.

MoreGooder

Have you tried the Powerstrip program? You might be able to tweek it up a bit higher with that. You might also see what 1280 X 960 gives you (a more natural lengthXwidth ratio IMHO) Your limitation is really set by pixel rate pumped out of the graphics card and into your monitor. Which is the bottleneck? The Hercules 3D Prophet or your Monitor?

Have you checked the specs on your Hercules and on your particular monitor? Whichever one is lowest will be the bottleneck of course. If that is a newer video card my bet is that it is your monitor.

very cool nice find. I gotta give that a try though i kinda like my 1600x1200 =P

Back