• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

undervolting/overvolting different kingston hyper kits recommended?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrettC

Gigabyte UD3P
AMD FX 8370 @ 4.5

16G RAM:

8G Kingston Hyper X rated @ 1600/1.65V
8G Kingston HyperX Fury rated @ 1600/1.5V

According to instructions, I installed the same type of memory in the 2 opposing slots.

However, the mobo only allows me to control the voltages on Channel A (slot 1&2), and Channel B (slot 3&4). I can't control the individual voltage for each slot.

So, the 2 older sticks of RAM are running @ 1.5V when they should be running @ 1.65.

Is this ok? Or can the newer 1.5 sticks be overvolted to 1.65?

Or should I set them all somewhere in-between?

Thanks!

The 1.5v sticks will be fine at 1.65.

That said, it's not good to mix and match.. something is different between those kits that could cause instability. Make sure you test that. :)

is it generally safe to use CPU-Z's SPD XMP recommendations?

It should... it does with the same exact kit. It depends on what XMP profile it pulls and if the other stick can be stable.

so I should basically just change the voltage to 1.65 for all sticks, then test for stability, then go with the other recommended changes?

Id just put them in, set voltage to 1.65, and change the first main timings as listed in XMP. Then test it out.

to be clear, I'm not interested in OC'ing the RAM, just don't want the old ram to be undervolted and the new ram to be overvolted, unless as you say, the new stuff'll handle 1.65 just fine :-D

- - - Updated - - -

(CPU-Z sez I should be running the old ram @ 1.65, but that means I gotta run all sticks at that voltage.)

weird. I set the DRAM voltage in the bios to 1.65, but CPU-Z is still showing 1.5. Is there a better program to show accurate memory voltages?

CPUz doesnt show memory voltage bub. It shows what its RATED for, not actual. :)

Hwmonitor or the BIOS should show actual voltages.

in HWmonitor, is it VIN1 (1.656V) or VBAT (1.5V)? Or something else?

VDIMM? Vbat is the battery I believe...?

Check in the bios, what the voltage is... you should have a section that shows you...

I set the DRAM voltage in the bios. It shows the default (1.5) and what I set it to, which I HOPE is the current value (1.65).

I set the DRAM voltage to 1.6

since my cpu is set from 4.0 to 4.5, should I up the FSB by a notch or so?

Back