• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking 'n' overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
point taken...i have just put a bid in for :Abit KR7A-133Raid VIA KT266A Chipset ATX Motherboard Supports the latest AMD Athlon XP CPUs. 200 / 266MHz Front Side Bus. 4 DIMM sockets for up to 4GB of registered DDR SDRAM or 3GB of unregistered DDR SDRAM memory. On-board USB header for up to four extra USB channels. 1 AGP slot, 6 PCI slots. NON RAID VERSION

Thanks again for your help everyone.

That'll do quite well. If your processor isn't already unlocked, you should be able to use the pencil trick.

Hopefully, your processor will be the weakest link. If so, raise the FSB as high as you can go and lower the multiplier to make the processor work.

Probably, though, because you have generic DDR, it will be the weakest link. Raise your multiplier as far as you can stablely go. Then increase the FSB until one of them craps out.

Good luck!
Expect 1300-1500.
:)

Interesting,...I have heard that generic DDR can cause overclocking conundrums, I have one stick that came with the PC from Compaq(probably generic right?) and one that I bought through a computer tech because the one I got from 'tiger direct' didnt work. So I guess the question is... how would I find out for sure if my memory is the real thing or not? Before you say "look on the memory and look up the numbers from the manufacturer", I took the stickers off when I installed my ram sinks so unless its etched into the PCB...? I do use "WCPUID" would that give me the relevant information to find out? If not, and you cant think of any other ways...do you think it would be a good idea to buy new DDR...and if so where is a reputable place online to aquire such a thing and what constitutes it being NON-Generic DDR?

I would say just play with it and stuff. Run memtest86 and check it try ocing if everything works fine great if not i will shake my magic eight ball and it will say "Sources point to crappy ram."

Back