• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking XP with superglue + pencil

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cullam3n

Will that work? I heard mixed things:

1. It will work
2. It will sometimes work, depending how much graphite you put on there and depends on the pencil
3. It wouldn't conduct enough

I'm going to try this tommorow and let you know if it works on my XP 1600+.

-PC

It will propably not work at all, because the resistance that the graphite has in comparison with the resistance of the chips surface or something like that is very large, and the pencil would not conduct any electricity. Right now there are more, safer ways to fill the pits, you can use Super glue, but also using something else like a Crayon works very well, you can also use the white thermal paste which you get with heatsinks (Not Artic Silver!!)

I was thinking about using a crayon, but how would you do that? Just mask everything off and just go back and forth?

-PC

I guess so, I never did that b4, I don't even have an XP chip :p, I just saw a couple of threads where this is mentioned, I suggest you do a search on the word crayon and read through the threads, and just PM the people who used this method

DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE

After messing up several times using the crayon method- I would definetly advise against superglue. If I had used that, I would have been toast- that stuff is nearly impossible to remove while crayon is really easy.

Crayon and conductive ink works great- and If you mess up its no hassle.

Hey Cullam3n, have you tried using the pencil yet? I was thinking of doing it myself. I will probably attempt it within the next couple of days.

go get this

go to a local auto parts store and buy a defogger repair kit, its like this conductive liquid that dries quick and works great. Dont breathe too much, supposedly can cause cancer, so the state of california says..

Didn't work. I think I shorted two bridges or something because I can boot at multipliers higher than 10.5, but it says at 10.5. So let's say I boot at 11, it'll say it booted at 11, but the detected clock speed is 10.5.

-PC

Ok, so let me get this straight. You can get multis above 10.5 and they are registered on boot but when you actually check the clock speed of the cpu, it is still the clock speed of a 10.5?

So did you ever unlock your cpu in the end?

crayon and defogger works great. i used a red crayola crayon =P. use red or orange, something bright you can see. connecting with the paint is a pain in the butt w/o a magnifing glass, but i did it. i suggest a good magnifying glass

Theoretically. the wafer is designed never to get hot enough to melt a crayon. If it does, you have plenty more than liquid crayon to worry about :D

I used Non-metallic nail polish and conductive ink.. It's easy to clean off and doesn't harm the chip.

Do NOT scrape the chip with any metal device..

I accidentally bought a trace protector pen instead of the conductive pen from Radio Shack. This pen is used to insulate traces by making a hard, clear coating over them to prevent shorting/cutting.

It just dawned on me not long ago that it would be perfect for filling the pits since it has a super fine tip. Masked off the bridges with some tape, applied the pen to the pits and then pulled off the tape...voila!

Not exactly the most cost-effective solution (Costs about $10) but it worked very well and I already had it. Probably about the same as superglue but is absolutey non-conductive.

lazerin said:
Ok, so let me get this straight. You can get multis above 10.5 and they are registered on boot but when you actually check the clock speed of the cpu, it is still the clock speed of a 10.5?

So did you ever unlock your cpu in the end?

No they aren't registered on boot, but If I go and change the mutliplier, it says it's at 11. And it isn't unlocked.

-PC

Back