• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from [email protected]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What are the primary uses for the computer? (Gaming, editing, CAD, etc...)

e8400 or Q9550. The e8400 you will see 4Ghz+, and b/c of the chipset/board, you will likely only see about 3.6-3.8Ghz on that quad. But its a quad and you do some encoding so you should decide if that is worth it or not.

Overclocking it more would probably help. But its not too bad Im sure. I take it your res is 1680x1050?

The P5K Deluxe is a good board, I was able to run my first Q6600 at 475x8 :thup:

You would probably get more grins from the quad rather then the dual :)

That bad boy hit that high FSB with a quad? Nice!!!!!!!! I take it back, GET A Q9550 or Q9400!!

Its 1920*1080

Id have to do my reading on OC'ing again since this was my first and only OC from more than a year ago.

I think Id have to unlink my RAM. I had to downclock the speed because I was getting BSOD's and Memtest errors.

at that res, its your card doing most of the work...I wouldnt worry to much about it personally unless you have money to burn for the new cpu.

Was just thinking ahead for when I get some money after christmas. Looks like OC'ing a bit more ( investing in a better HSF maybe ) would be more beneficial then spending $200

That bad boy hit that high FSB with a quad? Nice!!!!!!!! I take it back, GET A Q9550 or Q9400!!

Aww dont be surprised, its really a good board! Tho I have not tried for max with my current Q66. It still does 500fsb+ with my E8600 :)

Almost as good as a Rampage, but not quite :)

Edit:

Ok no where near a Rampage, but its still pretty good lol :)

Try OCing it and see if that improves performance. If you still feel that the performance is not up to par, consider dropping in a Q9550.

Considering your primary uses and native res, I don't recommend a CPU upgrade. Going to an E8400, even at 4GHz, won't be worth the money IMO. Your games are far more GPU limited at 1920x1080, so I don't think you'd actually notice much improvement in that area. Encoding would be faster, but not worth $150-200 faster.

If you opted for a quad instead (Q9550 or Q9400 for example), the video encoding would definitely be faster. However, unless you do a lot of that it probably wouldn't be worth while. And as with the E8400, you wouldn't notice much / anything in the way of gaming improvements (except for the few games that actually benefit from a quad).

I also don't think you're going to get much more out of your E6550. 3.4GHz is a very respectable OC for a 65nm C2D. If you pushed it another 100 or 200MHz I think that's about the max based on a safe vcore.

My advice is if you want more fps for gaming, go with a GPU upgrade instead. Other than a GPU, the next logical upgrade for you is going to be to i5/i7... and that's not a $200 upgrade.

Back