• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Upgrade From I7 12700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sawacs

Registered
I am wondering if I should go ahead with a small upgrade to my current system by upgrading from an I7 12700k to a i7 14700k

Current System:
i7 12700k OC to 5ghz on all P-Cores
GSkill DDR 4 3200 CL 14 overclocked to 3600 CL 15 gear 1
Asus RTX 4090 OC Edition
MSI Z690 Edge Wifi

Would there really be any point in upgrading to a i7 14700k if I run all games at 4k?

Thanks!

Sawacs

Last edited:
My gut feeling is, probably not. You get some more E cores, a bit more boost but lower base clock. It'll probably perform pretty similarly.

I went from a 10 series to a 13 and saw little to no difference. I would imagine the difference from a 12 - 14 would be about the same. I would say don't waste your money.

Thanks for the advice.

The mainboard is an MSI Z690 Edge Wifi

Thanks for the advice.

The mainboard is an MSI Z690 Edge Wifi

Core i7Raptorlake Refreshi7-14700K1003.4GHz28MB33MBB0

So good news, your board supports the upgrade, as for noticeable performance....

they did not make any major changes to the P-Cores from Alder to Raptor Refresh but if I recall correctly they did make some reasonable improvements to the E-Cores so if your applications and operating system have good support for multi architecture.

E-cores are still the same IPC on RL refresh. They did add more to the 14700K (and only that one), though. :)

I would wait for the next-gen. At 4K it doesn't matter much and in less than a year we will see new CPUs and motherboards (probably in Oct-Nov this year, but it's not confirmed).

Great points to consider everyone and thank you.

I am leaning towards wait until the next gen CPU arrives.

Cheers!

I feel like they just pushed the 14's through just to have something new for the stock market and not for the enthusiast. I upgraded my 9700K to the 13900K. It is a great new machine with DDR5 RAM. Plus now I have type C ports, which is nice, so I have that going for me. :geek:

Back