• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade time. Need some stepping advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Well, I'm finally going to go XP. W/ my tax return in and a buyer for the board/chip/RAM in the sig, I'm going to need new stuff.

I'm going for an Asus A7V266-E RAID w/ 256MB of DDR PC2100 and an XP 1600+.

My question to you, is which stepping of the chip should I choose? I've done some looking around and have seen 3 major steppings (although they may be the ONLY steppings for XPs):

AGOGA
AGKGA
AGNGA

I know that the best overclockers have a "Y" or at the very least some letter in the third line, so that's a given.

I just want to know which of these steppings are the best.

And please, no comments along the lines of: "You should wait untill the T-bred comes out and buy one of those." I am however going to wait until the T-breds become readily available, because that'll push down the price of the XP a bit more.

And I can't shop online, so nothing along the lines of that, please.

Thx, guys!

Oni said:
Well, I'm finally going to go XP. W/ my tax return in and a buyer for the board/chip/RAM in the sig, I'm going to need new stuff.

I'm going for an Asus A7V266-E RAID w/ 256MB of DDR PC2100 and an XP 1600+.

My question to you, is which stepping of the chip should I choose? I've done some looking around and have seen 3 major steppings (although they may be the ONLY steppings for XPs):

AGOGA
AGKGA
AGNGA

I know that the best overclockers have a "Y" or at the very least some letter in the third line, so that's a given.

I just want to know which of these steppings are the best.

And please, no comments along the lines of: "You should wait untill the T-bred comes out and buy one of those." I am however going to wait until the T-breds become readily available, because that'll push down the price of the XP a bit more.

And I can't shop online, so nothing along the lines of that, please.

Thx, guys!

AGKGA<AGNGA<AGOGA
And then you have AGOIA the newest one XP2100 running at 1.73Ghz

i have the AGKGA 1600+ and ive gotten it past 1.6Ghz, im pretty sure i could go a bit higher but my generic ram craps out

heres another for agkga, mine goes to 1653mhz, but my psu is holdin me back.

I've got an unlocked 1700+ AGOGA that I've gotten to 1650mhz but runs a bit unstable. very stable at 1613 though. I'm kinda limited w/ o/c options due to my mobo.

i would say both AGOGA, and AGNGA. they should do better (a little bit?) then the AGKGA. (base on what i've seen/heard only)

all of my XP chip is AGKGA. all locked. u can check my sig. for info.

good luck ;)

Get an AGOIA or AGOGA.
Also check my sig.

With the AGOGA I got 1618 MHz with a .025 increase in voltage from 1466 MHz.

AGKFA's suck.
AGKGA's are good as well, but I prefer AGOGA.

I have yet to try an AGOIA.

(the reason why the XP-1700 AGKGA is oc'd the same as the AGKFA is because it is on a dual mobo with doesn't OC very well)

I vote for AGOGA and I think that the AGOIA is only avaialble on the newer chips, you would be able to find it on a 1600+.

AGKGA

Hit 1656 pretty stable, 1633 95% stable, 1617 like a rock with AGKGA. But had to unlock multiplyer to do it cuz of limited FSB from some other hardware. Took some volts to do it, too...

Yeah you got that shuttle mobo with built in Vmod!

Apparently the 8K3A+ (kt300 CE) from epox will let you set the Vcore to 2.2

That's gonna be an OC mobo and a half! The kt400 chipset is also coming out soon too.

That is the next mobo on my list forsure. (Epox w/kt400)

Back