• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade: What to Keep if Anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjb4

Registered
It’s time to upgrade my old rig I built in 2010. My problem is I haven't kept up with the latest technology and need some help on selecting parts.
My budget for the upgrade is fairly flexible. I would like the latest and greatest even though I don't always use it to capacity. I use the rig for gaming and everyday work. I like to play around with overclocking but it’s not a passion.
I would like to go with a smaller/slimmer case this time but don't want to sacrifice too much mobo capacity. Do I go with a micro ATX or are there full ATXs that can fit in a smaller cases. I know this is pretty wide open but any suggestions you might have would be helpful.
Here are some of my initial thoughts:
Asus x99-Pro; GeForce 980 Ti; Intel Core i7 5820k or the 5930; 16 GB DDR4 RAM.

Here is my current rig:
Processor Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz Socket 1155 LGA
RAM 16384 Mbytes DDR3 535.1 MHz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (LGA1155)
GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1023 MB
Storage Samsung SSD 840 Series 465 GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s
Seagate 2794 GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 3.5” X 2
SAMSUNG 931 GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 3.5”
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F
Case Cosmos Cooler Master
PSU 750 Watt PC Power and Cooling PSU
OS Windows 10 Pro

Thanks in advance for your input.
Carmine

Definitely keep the drives. The PSU is on the older side but should be OK. (Check caps by looking through the top vent.) Don't downsize the case unless you need to since that makes it harder to keep cool. Of which, it's very likely you'll need to upgrade the cooling for Haswell-E.

Thanks NiHaoMike,

What am I looking for in the PSU? Think I could downsize the case if I went to a liquid cooling set-up or will the the 980 Ti put out too much heat?

thanks,

That depends on the type of cooler the GPU uses. The reference style coolers work just fine in small cases and are highly recommended for compact builds. The two fan ("Hooters style", so called because the two fans look like the eyes of an owl) coolers dump most of their heat in the case and good case ventilation is essential.

Mind you, if you really are after compactness, it's possible - after all, there are rack servers that stuff two Haswell-E CPUs into a 1U form factor. You just have to pay a premium for the specialty parts and engineering required.

I would get some 1866 CL9 RAM, an NH-D14, and possibly a new case.
Just OC what you have, the 2600K is still a relevant CPU.

The Cosmos is quite a large case so I'm sure you can go smaller.
Do you have a size you're trying to get it down to?

Thanks ATMINSIDE,
I'm looking for the smallest/slimmest case that can accommodate an ATX and full size GPU.
Your are right about the 2600K but I would like to try out the new cpu.

Well, since you want to upgrade, what about going mATX and getting the Corsair Obsidian 350D?

Any particular reason you want a full atx board? For intel there are plenty of good options for the mini/micro scene

If you won't planning dual GPu then Micro ATX is good thing. Three drives would be too much for ITX, and then you have to change CPU too (but there is an Asrock board on X99) - just for your information if you consider something smaller :)

Great advice on several fronts. The Corsair Obsidian 350D looks great (can even fit 2 cards). The Asus X99-M might be a good microATX replacement for the X99-Pro, doesn't look like I lose much. Sorry I didn't explain about the 3 HDs, one is not necessary just left it in when I got the 2nd seagate. Any advice on the RAM, I'm thinking Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4/2400. On the PSU, should I replace, its been up and on for almost 5 years?

With that much (expensive) new equipment I would replace the PSU personally.
Get some DDR4 that's up in the 3000MHz range, otherwise you're just running DDR3 speeds with loosened timings. Make sure it's a 4 stick set.

Ok, thats what I was thinking. What's the reason for 4 vs 2 sticks?

Ok here is the setup:

Intel Core i7 5820
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Asus X99-M microATX USB3.1
Asus GeForce 980 Ti 6GB
Corsair Hydro Series H75 Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair Obsidian Series®*350D Micro ATX
EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Thought? Issues?

Get a better cooler. The H75 is "okay".
If you're wanting to stay with an AIO, check out the Swiftech H220-x or Cooler Master Glacer 240L.
For air coolers, check out the NH-D14.

$265 is a LOT for an mATX motherboard. Check out the ASRock X99M Extreme4
It has a better VRM, more SATA ports, and M.2 compatibility. It's also only $165 after mail-in on Newegg right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157544

Make sure the PSU is the G2 version, that's the newest and best.

I think you should take any money you want to use for upgrading and dump it into the beefiest GPU available.

I still have an age old nehalem i7 920 @ 4.2, and I run a dual crossfire 290x, and I'm only about few percent back from the benchmarks using a brand new CPU and far more ram than my little triple channel 6GB kit. Grab a 980 TI if you have the cash, or a 970 or 290x for a more reasonable upgrade.

However, don't let me dissuade you if you really have the four figure budget to essentially get a whole new rig.

Thanks ATMINSIDE,
I wasn't sure about the cooler. If you think I should get the dual radiator the case can handle the Corsair 100 series as top or front mount (listed as compatible). I've not used liquid cooling before.
I saw the ASRock X99M Extreme4 but it doesn't have USB 3.1. But I guess $100 is a lot for two 3.1s.
thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I guess it is really a totally new rig, should probably add a SSD and one of the HDD. Can then donate the current one.
thanks

Do you have any devices that will even use 3.1?

Ditch the Corsair cooler, the two I recommended are vastly better.
The case will fit either that were recommended.

For the SSD, go for the 850 EVO.

Back