• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB and win98?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

none1

HI!

Girlfriend has a compaq 1685 k62 (YES, k62 :) laptop. Built in modem, usb, 3 gig HD, and DVD drive that works. Its enough computer for her.

BUT
1) Its so old its flaky and needs an OS reinstall
2) She has new USB devices (camera, printer, DVDRW) that don't work right now.

The laptop has windows 98 installed.

QUESTIONS
1) Does win98 first edition have USB issues? I thought I remember one big advantage of win98SE was real USB support.

2) How do I tell if the OS on her comp (and the recovery disk) is 98 first or SE?

3) Which MS OS should I install, and where to get it cheap, if she has 98 FE? I can drop in up to 196 meg ram.

Thanks!

To tell if it has 1st of 2nd on it: go to the control panel and click on "system" It will tell you if it is second, if it doesn't say then it's first.

Thanks, I'll check her version. Any idea if NON win98SE had USB problems? Or were USB problems only a win95 issue?

I believe USB problems were a 95 thing, up until OSR2. But then, it's still 98, so it's not as if it's really any better. :-\

You could search the MS knowledge base for an issues between 98 and USB devices... if they still support the OS, I'm not sure if they do.

Back