• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB doesn't work on New System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syypher

I just upgraded my computer today and replaced a lot of parts. I replaced the mobo/ ram/ cpu/ heatsink with GGB-p55, 4gb ddr3 Ripjaws, i7-860, Megahalem w/ 2x scythes.

I plug my keyboard, mouse, monitor, power cord in and power it up and proceed to try to reformat my SSD hard drive with Vista but my keyboard doesn't work! I get it continue to load to windows since I can't do anything to stop it and my mouse doesnt move either...

I restart the computer and my keyboard lets me go into bios. I can move through all the settings in there but once I exit it doesn't let me do anything anymore!

I am able to hit f12 to get into the boot options. But after that my keyboard stops working and I can't scroll down to boot onto a CD.

Basically after BIOS my keyboard/ mouse stops working. All my USB ports stop working...

I have tried:
-clearing BIOS by removing battery
-i dont have a ps/2 port with this new mobo so I cant try a ps/2 keyboard
-booting to windows (keyboard/mouse doesnt work)

Help please >_< I really want to reload my OS and get my new system going.. :bang head

EDIT:

***Now I can get into windows and my mouse and keyboard work. I went to BIOS and was able to set CD to first boot. When it says 'Press any key to boot from CD' my keyboard isn't working anymore... so I can't even boot to my CD to install my OS.***

Last edited:
Might be a finnicky little *******. It happens. Luckily PS2 kb/mouse can be had for four dollars.

Surely once you've installed the USB drivers with windows everything will be hunky dory. Weird stuff like this happens a lot.

Might be a finnicky little *******. It happens. Luckily PS2 kb/mouse can be had for four dollars.

Surely once you've installed the USB drivers with windows everything will be hunky dory. Weird stuff like this happens a lot.

usually it will go ahead and use generic drivers to let you get into the BIOS and navigate around there. If you can't find a PS2 keyboard or don't have a PS2 port then you can get an adapter but I'm wondering at this point if the USB header on the board isn't bad. I would try plugging something into it that recharges via USB and see if it begins charging when the power is turned on to the machine. Then again, being able to use F12 to enter BIOS doesn't seem like it would be that issue. Puzzling to say the least.

You might try a different keyboard/mouse, or running the OS install from within windoze by popping in the CD while already in windoze...I take it you can get into the old install on the drive (the install that had your old system on it?)

***Hey guys, kindof hard to use a ps2 kb/m without ps2 ports...my ABIT Max board gave me the same fits being the first board without them.
I ended up installing the OS to my hard drive using the old mother board, and then shutting down, swapping my hardware, and installing drivers and everything when I got it back up. You can put the old mother board on a box next to your case so you don't have to tear it all completely back down, just plug in the PSU and your hard drive/CD, you can use a key to temporarily short the pins on the power button header to start it running.
*btw, don't forget having a heatsink/fan on the old board...no need to fry it. Yeah, sounds obvious, but it happens!..

Yeah, it's a major pain...welcome to the wonderful world of technology!

Last edited:
Back