• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

usb not working (very, very weird)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zulu-1

well, how is everyone?
right now im sorely missing my usb :bang head
well my specs are in my sig, and im running SP2
whenever i plug anything into my usb ports, nothing happens
this is with the rear, and the ones on the case :eh?:
the friged up thing, is that when i plug my wireless mouse into a usb port, xp says it has found a device, but it has malfunctioned :bang head
it works fine with the PS/2 adapter

i have tried:
uninstalling usb drivers, then reinstalling them
clearing cmos
forcing 1.1 through the bios
unplugging the case usb wires from the mobo
and!! i have also put my system to stock, EVERYTHING!!

please help !!!!!! :cry: i need my usb for my printer, for school :cry:
ps. it used to work, this happened out of tha blue :(

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd RMA the board if you just got it at Christmas. Since you've done the stuff you can reasonably do to test the problem, it's probably a hardware issue.

One way to do further testing is to buy a cheap USB PCI card like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-107-102&depa=0

See if that one works. If it does, RMA the motherboard (or just save the hassle and keep the PCI card).

You can always return the PCI card if you have to. Pick one up at Best Buy to make it even easier.

ok thanks for all the responses, ill try all of them, cause i think my friend has an extra usb pci card
btw, isnt the usb built into the chipset?
i had another weird experience, yesterday when i plugged in my mp3 player it gave me the same error as with the mouse :(

If you have a ps/2 mouse, you could try going to device manager and uninstalling all the entries under Universal Serial Bus controllers. Then reboot, and let windows reinstall everything; that's worked for me before.

Yes Have you flashed the BIOS to the latest version. Is the USB controlled by a VIA chipset? those are notorious for being flaky. You may need to download the latest drivers from your MBs website to reinstall.

thanks, no its an nforce3 250 mobo
im running the latest nforce drivers...
any other ideas? :(
oh, and yea it has the newest bios
btw.. thanks for replying :cry:

i think you may need to send you mobo in to have it reapired under warranty (assuming you haven't done something to void it). from you you said it sounds like that board has gone bad

Hey man same thing happened to me but for me both my USb Ports and my PS/2 ports went bad. i restarted my computer one day and it just happened i didn't know why. i suggest rma'ing the board as it is probally a problem with the nforce 3's
i have a DFI Lanparty UT 250 NForce 3
Call the manufactuer and get a RMA. hope that fixes your problem and mine.

one question I have is, in device manager under USB does it say that all the usb stuff is running properly. If not which are not.

Back