• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

using hardware RAID with ACHI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fabulouscoops

So, I bought a new 2 T drive for my main PC (#! in sig) and decided to use the old 500 GB drive to construct a RAID 0 (2 x 500 GB) array in another PC (#3 in sig).

The drives in the 2nd PC were set up using ACHI. When I converted to hardware RAID in the BIOS, the SSD with Windows 7 64 failed to boot (not unexpected). So I restarted, built the array in the RAID setup screen then reinstalled windows on the SSD. Everything worked on the virgin install. However, when I restored the backup files, the PC again failed to boot. I then went back to the BIOS and reset the drives back to ACHI and restored the drive using a backup image of the original drive from before I had done anything. The PC booted but I was surprised to see that the RAID array survived. I cannot now access the RAID setup screen but the new RAID 0 drive seems usable.

My question is: Can I use the array safely for data storage even though the BIOS is setup for ACHI and not RAID? Thanks for reading.

Back