• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Variable speed fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its not that hard, just get a rheostat at the local radio shack that can handle the amps of your fan and wire it in the black wire coming outta the fan.

Warlord2
I developed a fairly simple circuit designed to convert any brushless DC Fan into a variable speed unit. The details can be found on my webpage, http://www.rpi.edu/~hicksm in the section named "PWM Fan Speed Controller. The unit costs about $10 to built, provided you have some basic electronics tools. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

The use of a potentiometer for fan control, in my opinion, is dubious at best. When one uses a pot, the energy that would be used by the fan is dissipated as heat by the pot; this is defeatind the point. Also, the RS pots are typically 1/4W units. To drop 5V at 100mA with the pot would dissipate 0.5W - twice the rated spec.

Check my post on a 6 fan LM317 bay bus in the Alternative Mod forum. I still have not posted a parts list.

HERE is the link your are looking for. It shows you step by step on how to make one.

Back