• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very bad news regarding motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heres an alternative letter I based on the other one. If you don't want to write your own you can use this one also.

Dear AMD,

Since I have started to get interested in computers I have always turned to AMD. They have always been cheaper, better performers and a much better alternative to Intel. Of all the systems I have built for friends, family and customers, every single one has been an AMD system. I never hesitate to recommend AMD to people who ask for advice and I have always argued forcefully and tried to convince others that AMD was superior to Intel. I have always been satisfied with AMD products until now. I am disappointed to learn that you will be removing the 4 socket a holes from the motherboard specifications. These holes have provided excellent solutions for cooling and I don't think it is necessary to remove them. Newer processors will generate more heat and these holes are necessary for better and higher quality mounting solutions. Like I said before I have always gone with AMD but if these changes come to pass I think I may have to reconsider which company I will buy from in the future and I think many others will do the same.

Sincerely,

DodgeViper said:
Here is the email I just received from AMD,

Hello,

Thank you for contacting AMD.

It has come to our attention that there is concern regarding our latest revision of our Motherboard Design Guide. Due to recent feedback from our motherboard partners and the industry in general, AMD has modified our design guide to remove the four holes surrounding the processor socket.

It was AMD’s original recommendation to include the four holes surrounding the processor socket to allow for future recommended thermal solutions that might be needed to address increased processor frequency. However, we have found that the current solutions provide adequate cooling for all our processors. In addition to this, improved process technologies used during processor manufacturing are helping lower power dissipation and therefore these holes are not needed. It is also important to note that the four holes do complicate the design process. Therefore removing the four holes surrounding the processor socket can simplify the design and make things easier for the motherboard vendors. The result is additional valuable motherboard space that can be used for re-routed tracing, or additional components that can provide even more stability or increased features.

However, in the end it is up to each motherboard manufacturer to determine what functions or features their products will support. Our design guide is a guide only and is not a requirement from AMD. We provide this as a service for our motherboard partners along with other reference material. The motherboard vendors have the option to maintain this feature on their boards as well as any other feature they offer.

Best Regards, Richard
AMD Technical Service Center
www.amd.com

Interesting, here's the reply I got:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting AMD.

It has come to our attention that there is concern regarding our latest revision of our Motherboard Design Guide. Due to recent feedback from our motherboard partners and the industry in general, AMD has modified our design guide to remove the four holes surrounding the processor socket.

It was AMD's original recommendation to include the four holes
surrounding the processor socket to allow for future recommended thermal solutions that might be needed to address increased processor frequency. However, we have found that the current solutions provide adequate cooling for all our processors. In addition to this, improved process technologies used during processor manufacturing are helping lower power dissipation and therefore these holes are not needed. It is also important to note that the four holes do complicate the design process. Therefore removing the four holes surrounding the processor socket can simplify the design and make things easier for the motherboard vendors. The result is additional valuable motherboard space that can be used for re-routed tracing, or additional components that can provide even more stability or increased features.

However, in the end it is up to each motherboard manufacturer to
determine what functions or features their products will support. Our design guide is a guide only and is not a requirement from AMD. We provide this as a service for our motherboard partners along with other reference material. The motherboard vendors have the option to maintain this feature on their boards as well as any other feature they offer.

Best Regards,
Richard
AMD Technical Service Center
www.amd.com

Familiar looking no?

JARON

A company in OZ must have seen this coming as they do not use the holes. I use the Deep Freeze and it weighs only 400grams. I am told that they are working on a 3 lug holder as well. I have never had a problem with the existing hold down.

www.jaron.com.au

You people are overreacting. I'm sure that some companies will continue to offer the 4 holes just like they offer RAID, which is also not required by AMD.

hmmm no holes thats bad, but was there not a person that grafted a pair of bolts to their board to attach a lasagna cooler to their PLL chip? wait here is a link.

CHYLDE said:
hmmm no holes thats bad, but was there not a person that grafted a pair of bolts to their board to attach a lasagna cooler to their PLL chip? wait here is a link.

Somehow that one got by me, thanks for pointing it out CHYLDE. Still, real actual hole in the board for the cpu cooler would be better than glueing bolts on. With hole the risk of breaking the mounting system disappears.(Anyone who's heavy-handed enough to yank a bolt through a motherboard deserves to have broken their computer.)

shauns said:
all i can say is "hah" You shoulda went w/ a intel =P

shauns, you can keep those type of remarks to yourself. I am happy with all my amd processors and would never buy an inferior product at higher price just for a logo.

shauns said:
hehe i knew i would get some flaming

Then you knew you shouldn't have said it.

let's keep the conversation intelligent here please!

:eek:

Okay, everyone has had their say now. Lets get back to the real enemy, Heat.

Hoot

Back