• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VERY low profile GPU for Silverstone Milo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

latProd

Registered
Hi guys, I've built several gaming rigs over the years, but attempted my first htpc build recently, and ran into a problem.
The Silverstone milo is a very slim enclosure, and I assumed that a low profile card would fit, so I ordered the ADM 6450 HD Silent to go with it. Unfortunately, it's not low profile enough. :bang head
It had a DVI, HDMI and vga connector, and the vga bit just stuck right out of the milo. As bad luck would have it, I got a motherboard with no HDMI out, so i can't use the onboard graphics of my i5 2400S CPU either ( I assume the onboard graphics wont handle 3d 1080p very well anyway) with my TV. Does anyone here know of a half decent card that would fit in this case? I'm starting to fear that i MUST use onboard graphics only with this case, and that means I gotta buy a new motherboard etc, and it will all be much more expensive than I bargained for.
Thanks.

DO you mean it stuck out the back to far ot the card was too wide for the case

If possible, I would recommend you to try to sell your current system and get a new one based on AMD's APUs. They are substantially better iGPUs, perfect for a HTPC system.

If you can't, I'm pretty sure you could just remove the VGA port if all you need is HDMI.

wow that was fast, thanks :)
Yeah, the problem is that the vga bit sticks out of the case. The case height is like an old cd player, the usual "low profile" cards won't work due to the vga bit.
its just too wide for the case, since its so slim.
I actually tried sawing the damned vga extension off, but it damaged the card and it doesn't work, and i can't seem to find any cards that are just dvi and hdmi, and not with the extra "height" of the VGA connector. Just check out the milo case and you will see what I mean. I only intend to playback hidef video, i got a dedicated gaming rig so this is a pure htpc build, no gaming.
Unfortunately i dont think i can sell this as there is no HDMI output now, i doubt anyone would go for it.
I guess a new mobo with hdmi out is my only option?

wow that was fast, thanks :)
Yeah, the problem is that the vga bit sticks out of the case. The case height is like an old cd player, the usual "low profile" cards won't work due to the vga bit.
its just too wide for the case, since its so slim.
I actually tried sawing the damned vga extension off, but it damaged the card and it doesn't work, and i can't seem to find any cards that are just dvi and hdmi, and not with the extra "height" of the VGA connector. Just check out the milo case and you will see what I mean. I only intend to playback hidef video, i got a dedicated gaming rig so this is a pure htpc build, no gaming.
Unfortunately i dont think i can sell this as there is no HDMI output now, i doubt anyone would go for it.
I guess a new mobo with hdmi out is my only option?

The card that I linked has a small form factor bracket that moves/removes the VGA portion. I had to do it.

wow i am a douchealicious moron. you can screw it off......... :shock:
That's just.... i spent 30 minutes sawing it off.
This should make the 2013 fail reel.
:facepalm:

Thanks, i'll check the card you mentioned, looks good.

Back