• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via Aqua 1300 and Tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I was thinking along the lines of being nice and flexible. Is that Masterkleer stuff flexible?

Very flexible. I have used it for three WCing builds now. I had used the $2.50 a foot tygon and didn't notice a huge difference.

The 1300 will work fine. I used one 24/7 for several months a while back. If you want relays, you can buy them for about $5 each at Radio Shack. You'll have to do some wiring yourself but it's pretty simple. My 1300 wasn't noisy at all. And if your pump is noisy, all you have to do it put a drop of glue in the impeller base. It's a pond pump so the impeller is designed to "give" if a rock happens to come into the chamber. When you glue that part it eliminates the noise.

That explains the really low head pressure for such a fast pump. I have been pondering a fully submersed pump for a while now. :)

Great, thank you for the responses. So you say that the danner is AC, what kinda power connecter does it have? Is it a four pin molex?

Personally I'd recommend the 1800 over the 1300... Also for $45, you can find a Danner Mag 3 and that's a much better pump, and just skip on the relay.

Misunderstood sir_pyro. I thought he was saying skip the relay because it didnt plug into the wall. Didnt realize he was just saying just get the better quality pump and just plug it into the wall.

That explains the really low head pressure for such a fast pump. I have been pondering a fully submersed pump for a while now. :)

Exactly. And, I wouldn't recommend using either the 1800 nor the 2300 just because they're "rated" at a higher flow. Sure, if we're running ponds, I would, but we're running water cooling systems in restrictive loops which run at nearly the maximum pressure these pumps are rated for.

Via Aqua 1300 - 6ft of head, 31.5 watts
Via Aqua 1800 - 6ft of Head, ??? watts
Via Aqua 2300 - 7ft of head, 41 watts

Anything larger than the 1300 would just create more heat dump and stress out the pump. Just because they're bigger and rated for higher flow doesn't mean they're better.

I know that I have read on here some folks talking about quik disconnect adapters for the loops. Are there some out there that will close off so that when it is disconnect the water doesnt run out? Meaning are there any out there that will allow me to disconnect without draining?

Also, On the 3 barb cpu water blocks, do you always use a splitter to connect or are there a few different ways to do it? Is it worth it to get that type?

Misunderstood sir_pyro. I thought he was saying skip the relay because it didnt plug into the wall. Didnt realize he was just saying just get the better quality pump and just plug it into the wall.

Heh, no, I was just meaning save money and keep it plugged in all the time, unless you leave the computer off for more then a day or two then just unplug it. Leaving the pump on could actually be better for your liquid cooled components because it would keep them cool after shutdown instead of posibally haveing the temperature spike due to no coolant flow and heat still taking it's time to transfer between the component and the coolant.

I know that I have read on here some folks talking about quik disconnect adapters for the loops. Are there some out there that will close off so that when it is disconnect the water doesnt run out? Meaning are there any out there that will allow me to disconnect without draining?

Also, On the 3 barb cpu water blocks, do you always use a splitter to connect or are there a few different ways to do it? Is it worth it to get that type?

They KILL flow, but I've used them on my chiller. A bit expensive as well. If you NEED this feature I'll dig up the links for you (I know I got them from US Plactics though), but if it's a "that would be cool" thing, then its' not worth you messing with it.

Not necessarily the cool factor. I just find myself fiddling with my components alot, taking things in and out. Just thought it would make it easier.

Yeah found them on the US plastics website. Dont think im gonna spend 13 bucks a pop for them. Thanks for pointing me in the direction.

Not necessarily the cool factor. I just find myself fiddling with my components alot, taking things in and out. Just thought it would make it easier.

I wouldnt WC if you do that a lot. Just a headache. When I setup a system I usually dont replace anything big for at least a year.

Memory or HD maybe but those can be done without messing with the loop.

You don't necessarily have to forgo watercooling if you tinker with the PC a lot.
Just mount the cooling gear in another case/box/enclosure, and it's all out of your way (it can run cooler in many cases too).

Watercooling can be as easy or as hard as you wanna make it.

Exactly. And, I wouldn't recommend using either the 1800 nor the 2300 just because they're "rated" at a higher flow. Sure, if we're running ponds, I would, but we're running water cooling systems in restrictive loops which run at nearly the maximum pressure these pumps are rated for.

Via Aqua 1300 - 6ft of head, 31.5 watts
Via Aqua 1800 - 6ft of Head, ??? watts
Via Aqua 2300 - 7ft of head, 41 watts

Anything larger than the 1300 would just create more heat dump and stress out the pump. Just because they're bigger and rated for higher flow doesn't mean they're better.

Actually the 1800 has a lower draw than the 1300, at 28W, which should translate into a lower heat dump. In addition, for what it's worth, it has a higher rate of flow which makes the curve (480GPH v.s. 370GPH for the 1300) which may or may not mean anything. Also the 1800 just seems to be a better built pump. It's internals are not the same and the similar head pressures could just be because the impellers are shared between the two. One negative however is that it is a physically larger pump.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8164

Great info. I was just little dissapointed in the prices they charge for a PC based pump that doesnt seem to have as much power. Only inconvenience i can see with using the pond pumps is that i have to plug it into the wall.

oh god I hate my 1300.... I would never buy it again. I just switched (yesterday) to the mag 3. The 1300 performed VERY well... however after about 2 months of use it started to get this weird hum... after about 2 months the hum got EXTREMELY loud. Soon it was at the point where I could hear it in my bedroom with a closed door and it was in my game room seperated from my bedroom by a bathroom (it sounded like a f'n blender on liquify). even though I was using it as an inline pump... I had to submerge it in a bowl of water to quiet it down a bit... eventually I couldn't take it anymore... it drove me nuts... so I switched and I couldn't be happier now.

Oh AND I had to melt the barbs to the pump in order to keep them from leaking... straight outta the box I had leaks in both barbs and after trying to tighten them down I cracked the suction housing cause it didn't seem like I coud tighten them enough to stop the leak.. eventually I just grabbed a soldering iron and melted the barbs to the houseing.

Wow. Well my last thermaltake kit went to the craps and the waterblock started leaking all over my internals while the computer was on. I kept wondering why my computer was shutting down randomly. Water on a graphics card would definately be a reason. Amazingly after about 2 days of leakage and shutting down, the parts still were in working order. So yeah i definately dont have to have to do more work than i have to. thanks for the heads up.

I seem to recall a lot of back and forth over this pump around here years ago.. Some people loved it, some people hated it. Some got noisey ones and others didn't have a problem.

These days I would probably opt for one of the PC application designed pumps. I may pick up one of the $40-ish from DD myself soon, as I am getting back into WC after a few years and now that I got a CPU worth overclocking again. I'm pretty sure my Maxijet I think its a 1300? can't remember.. it was around $25 and I think around 250 - 300 gph range) still works though.. It ran great underwater, and as long as I found the proper material to mount it on, didn't have vibration issues when I converted it to inline. Although heat was a bit of a factor, inline.. You really do have to be careful about cracking stuff with these pumps though, personally I just epoxied mine to hell and back and have never had a leak or anything to worry about. Thought for sure the adjustable swivel would give me problems, lol..

Picking a pump, like most things in WC, is gonna come down to brand loyalty and personal experience in the end. But for whatever reason I just have this deep memory impression of regarding the Via Aqua 1300 as cheap and risky, like some others have said.

I guess my concern is that, in my mind, the faster you move water through the loop the better the cooling, right? Thats another reason I have been looking at these pond pumps. Pressure. Am I wrong in thinking this? Should the rad be doing all the work for cooling?

Back