• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via Aqua 1300 and Tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You're correct, the pump water speed and head height are very important factors in cooling. The radiator only can transfer as much heat as the pump can send to it. However don't go over~40 watts to get this speed, or you're wasting money/time/effort.

There were a lot of people running the 1300 in-line instead of submerged (when I bought mine, it was set up to run inline with 1/2" barbs already fitted).
The manual is translated Chinese to English, but it's pretty clear they say to run it submerged only...twice.
Heat makes epoxy bedded copper coils do funny things, and leaks just don't matter underwater.
And you simply cannot blame the pump for all the hamfisted and odd things we put it through.
Honestly if it were built idiot-proof, it would cost 8 times as much, plus someone is always hard at work building a better idiot.

Mine has always ran great. Two years of faithful service and it was retired simply because I bought this much bigger 1" pump I use now.
I actually still have all my pumps, and they all work just fine. Danner mag2, VA 1300, Maxi Jet, and currently a Quiet One 3000.
Take care of your toys and they will take care of you.

Honestly if it were built idiot-proof, it would cost 8 times as much, plus someone is always hard at work building a better idiot.

Or they'd just call it the Liang D5 :D. Really we're splitting hairs here. If you're just getting started in WC and don't want to shell out that much money, go for an 1800. You'll be happy with it until you outgrow it... which you might not do. I only switched because I got the D5 as a birthday gift :D. Also if you can use the Drs. Foster and Smith link I posted above, they seem to have the best prices on these and great service so I like them :beer:.

Just remember to set your thermal shut down to a good level (not 90°C and not 40°C :D). That way if you forget to turn on the pump, there's no harm. I ran mine in line. It didn't seem to have an issue and iirc, my box said it was for inline and submerged use. Could be a typo, could just be the major difference between the 1800 and 1300. Also pick up a pair of 3/8" NPT 1/2" or 3/8" brass barbs and seal the threads with RTV silicon. I did that with mine and also sealed the housing in key places with it (wanted to make sure it never leaked ;)).

I'll come in here and say that I've used a Via Aqua 1300 in an inline config 24/7 (ie: no relay, on whether the PC is or not) for the last three years of my watercooled rigs' life. The only complaint I had was about the hum that someone else mentioned -- which was a result of the pump chassis coming in direct contact with the PC chassis. A few thick soft silicon feet and the issue was entirely resolved.

I've gone through three processors since I first built it, but it's now cooling an S478 Prescott D0 3.0 at 4.2Ghz on 1.6v at 59*c max temp. All things considered, that's pretty damned good for the hardware I'm running (DTek WW, 120x2 rad, two Sanyo Denki 120mm x 35mm fans pulling at 7v)

So, for any sort of beginner to intermediate, I wouldn't have any problems suggesting it. I think my next rig will be a monster quadcore box, so I'll probably pick up all new hardware and leave this current system 100% intact and see how long it goes. If previous history is any indicator, it should be just fine for a few more years.

Back