• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VIA eden, eden_n etc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siavash_s_s

hey all im back into computers and posting again!! (yay)

aaaannnyway im making a carputer, and with a realistic limit of 60 or 70 watt power consumption, i need something tiny. the predicament is that i honestly want to play quake3 on a 6 inch LCD and i want to listen to mp3s and play videos etc... (the quake 3 part is pushing it i spose)

so what im looking for basically is something like VIAs eden processors with their itty bitty mobo, but i honestly have no idea at allllll in that direction. i know of eden and eden_n but i dont know the differences, and their site didnt really help me much, so i want the opinion of yall crazy tweakers as to what low power combo i need for this to get underway. also are there any other low power cpus and micro atx mobos i can use?

Thnx to everyone

Via's flat out suck. Unless the chip is over the 1 ghz limit it will studder on dvd playback. I don't even want to know how poorly they do Divx or Xvid compressed video's. They use low power but they are gutless along side. My suggestion a Celeron-T and a Micro-ATX board for it. Dfi made one with an AGP slot as well so non of the crappy onboard that the via boards are stuck with.

If I can recomend something, buy a microatx board with voltage adjustment, and a duron 1.4 based on the tbred core. It has a stock voltage of 1.5v, but you can progably underclock to about 800mhz and run it at 1v. It will kik the crap out of the eden, and the eden is designed for extremly low power usage, not performance.

Actually, if the PSU is rated at 70W, and is running near capacity, it will draw more than 70W. 70W is the output rating.

As for the CPU, maybe an underclcoked/volted XP-M is the via can't handle what you're doing? If you want to find out and have a skt 370 board, you could buy a via C3 for ~$50 and see if it's fast enough. Older Ezra-core C3s only had the FPU at half their clockspeed, and it still seems wimpy (ie, a weak FPU compared to 450MHz CPUs in a 933MHz CPU).

hey ojibewa, im 100% sure my school has those little *******s... they suck nuts

anyway, i really need to get on a eden_n pc, i have never even seen the things so i dont know what the performance is like, and to be frank, when an overclocker says they are slow, its probably not that bad :p

another thing that is a possibility is those little shuttles, whats up with them? my uncle, who could probably tell me exactly what to get for this project (he is a hardware geeeenious, used to design ICs or something) but he lives overseas so i dont have much contact but he did tell me the shuttles are crappy and painful.

as for the durons, no one in sydney sells them anymore...

what i really need is a way to check the total wattage pulled by each cpu, or atleast a chart that has that, anyone know of this?

thnx again

btw what about the mobile processors like centrino, they are designed for laptops so how much juice do they pull?

Centrino isnt a cpu, its intel's wireless technology. If you mean the Pentium M, they make about 7w of heat in the 1.2ghz area, as opposed to the 75w average of a desktop cpu.

ooooops my bad... lol haha i dono anything about intel so i thought centrino was a new cpu lol

hmmmm time for me to investigate this pentium m
does amd make similar? id rather an amd

I dont think amd has anything that uses that little power, but you can brab a mobile barton and underclock it to 600mhz and run it at .8v lol. Or a duron. Still, tht P-M is faster per clock than a tbreb last I heard but I dont think they make the desktop version yet. You might as well get a lappy and integrate it into your car.

it seems to me thatn either i get a very low power xp m and reach approx 150watts, or i get a eden_n and have barely 80 watts to pull...

in all reality tho, even if the eden is running at say 99% load just to watch divx, im happy because either im driving and listening to music, or someone in the back is watching a movie... not much else

You don't want to play DIII is the car?!?!?!

j/k it seems like sometimes people can't concive of anything but gaming on a computer:)

unless the via chips have gotten weaker clock for clock over the last few years, you shouldnt have any problem playing a dvd or divx file. for a very short while i was the owner of a 600mhz via cIII (i think, .18 micron joshua core, or something along those lines). in an abit bh-6 w/384mb of pc100 sdram i could watch divx movies with no skipping so long as i did not do alot of fast forwarding or rewinding (otherwise the sound would be off). just dont pretend you want to play a game on it, oced to 800mhz it was almost as fast as a stock 400mhz celeron in 3dmark, thats right, almost as fast

Dear god thats sad.

Umm anyways, i'd go with the p-m. Like yuriman said, they draw only 7w power. So go with that.

yuriman said they only giveout 7 watts of heat... this is nothing to go by for judging how much they draw in.
looks like i have to consider the P-m, but im such an amd fanoy i cant have a pentium, its herecy

hey whats a fair idea of how much a hdd would draw? say a 60gig maxtor

thnx to everyone btw, lots o help from this forum... much more than the actual car computer forums...

I don't think you should be worried about power that much... after all, my laptop, which has to power:

P-M @ 1.4ghz
4200 rpm HD
512MB DDR
15.4" LCD (which DOES draw a lot of power)
Optical drive
Mobility Radeon 9200 (again, lots of power)

...only has a 65W power supply.

I'd go with the new VIA (the tiny nano-ITX one) as long as you're reasonably sure it can do DivX, no more and no less. It has almost everything (sound, video, LAN, etc) onboard so it should make for a really sweet carputer.

I don't think you'll be able to use a P-M since no non-laptop mobos exist for that. Besides, it'll draw a lot more power than a VIA ever will.

Try looking for a forum dedicated to carputers. I don't think an overclocking forum is the best place for this, honestly.

id like to say BIG THANKS to everyone

i got a lot better idea of what to do now, so thnx again

Back